Concerning Pokrov.org

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Brother Nicholas

Concerning Pokrov.org

Post by Brother Nicholas »

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

While surfing the Internet the other day, I ran across
a website called pokrov.org, whose stated purpose is,
if I'm not mistaken the exposure of those within
Orthodoxy guilty of abuse as well as helping the
victims of abuse. Can anyone bring me up to speed
regarding this organization? Are they legit? Are they
moderate or overzealous? Is this an organization
worthy of support or are they simply someone with an
axe to grind?

I, personally have no axe to grind with this
organization, but am simply curious and am looking for
information about them from outside the organization,
since most often, any info originating from an
organization tends to be self-serving to some degree.

Many thanks.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Many believe them to be "overzealous without knowledge". This may or may not be true, I don't know either way. First, from what they have listed on their site, I do not believe they adhere strictly to the scriptural and canonical guidelines for accusations and charges and rumors concerning priests and bishops. To be blunt, they seem much more willing to "share information" about alledged abuses than the Orthodox tradition allows. Whether it is "sharing information" is itself up for debate: some say that they spread gossip and rumor as much as factual information (I do not personally say either way). They also list some groups on the site that many believe should not be "controversial" (e.g., the Ephraim Monasteries)

On the other hand, they would probably say that whether such monasteries should be controverial is irrelevant, and that the fact is that they are a controversial issue, and that some fathers in these monasteries have given some very bizarre advice. And they would also, I think, say that they are trying to head off abuses that have so shamefully overtaken other Churches; they want to protect many innocent people from being harmed. They would say that they don't work with rumor, but with what they can confirm, not to slam people but to protect the innocent.

I have no opinion. Or if I do, I shouldn't share it and I don't even want to think about it.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

One last thing to mention, a disclaimer they have on the site:

"This information is listed in order to offer the Orthodox community a resource regarding controversial and/or potentially unsafe churches. The views expressed here are those of the authors, and not necessarily the views of this web site."

Who gives them the authority to be such watch dogs, I don't know.

Julianna

POKROV PROVOKES!

Post by Julianna »

I'd just noticed that Br. Nicholas lives in the same area as Fr. Dionysi! You should visit Fr. Dionysi's church Br. Nicholas! I think PROKROV means to be good but they've lied in wait to attack anything that makes the slightest movement so much (likening a poisonous snake) too much to be trusted. :(

Brother Nicholas

Thank you all for your input. I do find their stance against the Ephraim Monasteries very disturbing. I suppose that I need to take a closer look at these people before I consider giving any support.

Julianna - Who is Fr. Dionysi, where is he and why should I visit his church, since I already go to an Orthodox Church in my area? Just curious.

Again, thank you all.

Julianna

Fr. Dionysi

Post by Julianna »

Br. Nicholas wrote:

Julianna - Who is Fr. Dionysi, where is he and why should I visit his church, since I already go to an Orthodox Church in my area? Just curious.

Fr. Dionysi's a wonderful priest that's posted messages here and I'm sure he's got a wonderful church to visit.

Brother Nicholas

OK, I've finally got a handle on who and what Fr. Dionysi is. I am so slow on the uptake sometimes. I seem to recall meeting him when he was attending church at All Sainst of NA in Middlebrook, VA. He was then, if memory serves fresh out of the LDS, though I might possibly be confusing him with someone else in that regard. Shortly after our meeting I left to go in puruit of my monastic vocation. It seems that he also left after that. Anyway, I don't see any need for me to swing by his place - thanks for the invite though.