Coptic Orthodox

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Mor,

I'm a bit confused, I've seen the quote that you have there (or pretty near to that quote-- what we pray in the Divine Liturgy of John Chrysostom) attributed to Saint Emperor Justinian. Are you saying that Bishop Alexander attributed it to Severus of Antioch, or that that is who you have seen it attributed to by others?

Justin

PS. Anastasios, if I had it to do over again, I would have tried to expand on it a bit. I realise (in hindsight) how such a response could have been seen as very obnoxious or arrogant, as though problems can be summed up and/or dismissed without discussion.

Savva24

Post by Savva24 »

anastasios wrote:

Don't attack Professor Erikson whom you do not know. He is a pious and humble Orthodox Christian and you would do well to imitate him. I see him on a day to day basis and yours and Patrick Barnes's assaults on him are meaningless

Dear Anastasios,

I don't think that anyone assaults Professor Erikson personally. I am sure he is a wonderful human being and Christian. It is just that some of his teachings and actions conflict with traditional Orthodoxy and it is natural that Patrick Barnes or OOD would have something to say about it. I understand how if you are close to someone it is hard not to take an attack personally though.

In Christ,

Nicholas (Savva 24)

Anastasios
Sr Member
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Kallinikos

Post by Anastasios »

The problem is that the attacks on Prof. Erickson are not just mean-spirited but they also don't always reflect what Erickson believes or has said in class lectures. Even Bp Auxentios finally told Barnes to knock it off in a polite way (that letter is on the orthodoxinfo.com website).

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

Anastasios,
I'm sure professor Erickson is a very kind and good man. However, if I'm not mistaken he has publicly stated that the Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches are the "two lungs" of the One Church of Christ. This is clearly a heretical view. I believe this statement, as well as other similar ones he has made, make some people wary of his qualifications to head an Orthodox seminary. It also makes people question the current state of St.Vladimir's Seminary(even within the ranks of our own bishops and priests!).

Perhaps though, Prof. Erickson has been misquoted and minunderstood as Prof. Paul Meyendorff seems to have been. Maybe the next time you run into him you can ask for him about his views on the "branch theory" and "two lung" theory.

Julianna

anastasios's a branch theorist!

Post by Julianna »

Peter J. Hatala wrote:

Anastasios,
I'm sure professor Erickson is a very kind and good man. However, if I'm not mistaken he has publicly stated that the Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches are the "two lungs" of the One Church of Christ. This is clearly a heretical view. I believe this statement, as well as other similar ones he has made, make some people wary of his qualifications to head an Orthodox seminary. It also makes people question the current state of St.Vladimir's Seminary(even within the ranks of our own bishops and priests!). Maybe the next time you run into him you can ask for him about his views on the "branch theory" and "two lung" theory.

But anastasios believes in the branch theory! he believes there's grace in the wafer and wine he receives at the current church he goes to. he believes there's grace in papist priest's confessions. he believes that there's grace in the "mysteries" of oriental churches that were anathemized as heretics at the OEcumenical Council at Chalcedon. he believes that they're mysticaly a seperated branch of the Orthodox Church!

Jakub

Post by Jakub »

Julianna & Peter,

I find your personal attack on Anastasios unwarranted and unChristian.

I will not be a member of a forum who condones this behavior.

James

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

I believe it is not only possible, but that it is absolutley required of us to talk about the issues which threaten our salvation and our unity with Christ. Unfortunatley, like Nicholas(Savva) nicely pointed out, this may sometimes seem like a personal attack.

What I think I said which set this whole controvery off was: "What about Mr. Erikson, is he so ready to shamelessly step forward and declare himself a better spiritual light than St. Leo?"

By this I meant, since Mr. Erickson teaches that the Monophysites are Orthodox and that the Fourth Ecumenical Synod made a "mistake", he must, and I mean this sincerley, he must think he is a brighter spiritual light than St. Leo. After all, he is helping to lead people out of "darkness" and into the REAL truth, and in my view, contrary to what the saints taught. Now if he in fact does not teach that the Monophysites are Orthodox, than please let me know and I will repent for making a wrong presumption.

Now I believe my comments and many of the other comments (but certainly not all) such as Peters, fall entirely in the realm of objective crticism regarding what we are all talking about Faith.

If anyone thinks that I have personally attacked anyone, please correct me and show me my error - you will be doing me a favor!

As far as Anastasios, whatever his beliefs, I like him here and hope I, or anyone else has not discouraged his participation. I would love to one day venerate his right hand as a true Orthodox priest! Such a thing is not far fetched!

Now I will post this and see all of the typos and errors I can't fix....oh,... hi Nicholas. :)

Strike that last sentence! Thanks Nicholas!