Mel Gibson & Icon productions' THE PASSION Movie Trailer

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Natasha
Sr Member

Greek Orthodox leaders tell flock 'Passion' isn't accurate

Post by Natasha »

Greek Orthodox leaders tell flock 'Passion' isn't accurate

February 26, 2004

BY CATHLEEN FALSANI Religion Reporter

Leaders of the Greek Orthodox Diocese of Chicago have sent letters to all of their parishes warning clergy and the faithful that some of the theological ideas expressed in Mel Gibson's film "The Passion of the Christ" are not part of their tradition.

"It distorts the gospel message," said the Very Rev. Demetri Kantzavelos, chancellor of the Chicago diocese, which includes 59 parishes in Illinois and five other Midwestern states. "The errors that deviate from the gospel are profound."

"My fear is that this might be the only 'gospel' that people see or read," he said.

"The Passion" chronicles the final 12 hours of Jesus' life, including more than an hour of graphic depictions of brutal scourging and crucifixion. Gibson has said the film is based on New Testament accounts and other scholarship.

A critique of the film also released by Kantzavelos for the diocese said Gibson's interpretation of the death of Jesus "distorted the ultimate meaning of Christ's passion" and was "beyond the embrace of Orthodox Christianity."

"The Orthodox Christian tradition has never focused attention on nor explicitly promulgated an 'atonement theology' as central to church teachings," Kantzavelos wrote in the critique. "The point of Christ's death was to triumph over death and make a way for each of us who come after him to join with him.

"The film misses this point," he wrote. "In Orthodox Christianity, we are asked to identify with his victory, not with his suffering alone."

Kantzavelos said that Metropolitan Iakovos, head of the Chicago diocese, felt compelled to send the cautionary letters to parishes after many called the diocese for guidance about youth and church groups viewing the film.

"Having just the passion -- the 12 hours -- lifted and compacted into two hours without Christ's social gospel message or his healings . . . renders the movie gratuitously violent for no reason," said Kantzavelos, who saw the film Monday. "I was not profoundly moved. I was profoundly disturbed."

Gibson's spokesman did not return a request for comment.

"The Passion" focuses almost entirely on the suffering of Jesus, with a short depiction of the resurrection -- about two minutes at the end of the 126-minute film.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

The Passion of The Christ Influence & Source Materials!!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

A review I read on the Paradosis list which brings out some very interesting facts:

Mel Gibson's movie which revolves around the final hours of our
Saviour, is a total deviation from the Faith of the Church which
holds the Holy Cross as the symbol of our Lord's victory over
death. The Cross is the banner of triumph. This is how it was
revealed to Saint Constantine and this is the belief of true
Christians throughout history. From East to West and North to South
the Holy Cross was seen as the "Cross of Glory". Caedmon's "The
Dream of the Rood" and the "Ruthwell Cross" in Scotland are vivid
examples of this Faith.
http://www.flsouthern.edu/eng/abruce/ro ... RN%7E1.HTM

Gibson's film details the last 12 hours of the Lord's life in
excruciatingly violent images. The Passion of our Lord is separated
from the Birth, Life, Resurrection and Glorification of our Saviour.
The inspiration for this movie was revealed in an interview that
appears on the "Inside the Vatican" web site. Gibson said that the
script was based on the writings of two mystics, Anne Catherine
Emmerich (1774-1824) and Mary of Agreda (1602-1665). He was in his
library praying about making a movie about the Passion and
Emmerich's book "fell off the shelf" into his hand. He saw this as a
sign and used these visions as the basis for his film. Cf.
http://www.passion-movie.com/promote/book.html . These visions are
based on the blasphemous theology of the Middle Ages which put the
violent death of the Lord at the center of faith. The death on the
Cross of our Saviour was the price paid to God for the sin of Adam
and Eve which all people inherited. The enormity of the sin
required this horrific punishment. This introduced self-
flagellation, stigmata and other "mortifications" into piety. The
Glory of the Cross was replaced by the Theology of punishment,
satisfaction, merits and indulgences. Gibson's movie presents the
blasphemous portrayal of the Lord not as the Victor but as the
victim. The depiction of our Saviour as a man abandoned by God
denies the Divinity of the Son of God and the true meaning of the
Holy Cross.

We do not need Gibson's movie or any other theatrical presentation
to teach us our Faith. The Gospels, the writings of the Saints, the
Hymns of the Church and the Holy Ikons give us the correct
instruction on the Holy Cross, the Passion and Resurrection of our
Lord. No actor, who one day portrays Christ and the next day
portrays a criminal or some other immoral person, can teach us our
Faith. Theatrical portrayals of sacred subjects cannot depict the
Divine nature of these subjects. This is why we have ikons and not
photographs and portraits of our Saviour. Images leave a mark on
the soul. Holy Ikons bring Grace and peace. Gibson's film can only
pollute the soul with its violence and denial of the Divinity of our
Saviour.

Seeker
Jr Member

Post by Seeker »

Oh Come On!

Gibson's movie presents the
blasphemous portrayal of the Lord not as the Victor but as the
victim. The depiction of our Saviour as a man abandoned by God
denies the Divinity of the Son of God and the true meaning of the
Holy Cross.

The purpose of the Movie was to show the last 12 hours of Christ. That's it! Nothing more, Nothing less! Many of these Orthodox commentaries make me sick. They claim that Gibson misses the point. The truth is they miss the Point. If Gibson wanted to make a movie on the Resurrection He could be he choose to make one on the Passion.

Do you not read the Passion Gosples on Good Friday? If your church does then the comments should be mute!

Get A Life I Say!

Valentina
Jr Member

Post by Valentina »

Hmm...well 3 of my teachers have already seen it and this is what they though.

My religion teacher (I go to a Catholic school), felt speechless in a way. Her friend that she went with couldn't stand some of the violence and left. But my teacher who stayed said that she feels sick from it but at the same time was frusterated with herself that she was complaining about giving up meat or something like that for Lent. She thought that if that happened to Christ and he suffered taht much, then surely she could strive to try harder during Lent and such. I guess that was positive then-it helped her to want to do more. She is also having a meeting with the school board on Tuesday and they will determine whether or not they will allow us to see it as a school trip. But my teacher said that she won't go again. I'm not sure yet if I would go if we are allowed to. Also, she said that alot of people were crying in the theatre and that everyone was hugging after coming out of the movie.

Secondly, my writer's class teacher thought that it was moving-similar to my religion teacher. She felt that she could try harder during Lent and give up something as well-which is again good. She also said she would never take us as a class-that it's something that we would have to see on our own time.

Thirdly, I think my French teacher liked it but thought that the violence was a little over the top.

Well there are some reviews for all of you from my teachers. :D

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I some what agree with Seeker, the movie is titled The Passion of the Christ.

I am not sure if I will see it, though Bhp. Christodoulos wants people to see, more from the the point of supporting Christian related art (which is often times silenced) than for theological reasons.

A thought I have had on the level of violence in the movie is that I really kinda doubt Christ had to endure much less than what Gibson portrays.

At any rate that's my 2-cents.

Seraphim Reeves

Post by Seraphim Reeves »

Natasha Asks:

I am kind of scared to see it because I have a very weak stomach and from all of the reviews I have read, it is very, very violent and gorey. If anyone has seen it, please comment on this-I dont want to have to run out of the movie!

I saw the film recently - it is very explicit in it's depiction of Christ's sufferings. I wouldn't recommend most pre-adolecent children being allowed to see this film (it would simply be disturbing and nothing else), and I'm sure many adults would have real problems watching it.

Natasha:

Perhaps someone could enlighten me, but isn't it a very Catholic thing to make it all about the physical suffering?

On the whole, yes it is. While, with time, I'm finding that sometimes the difference between the Latin view of Christ's sufferings is not as bizarre or at variance with Orthodoxy as some make it seem (for obvious polemical purposes) I do think it's fair to say that the emphasis in Roman Catholicism is definatly on the sufferings themselves more than it is in Orthodox Christianity.

To a degree this was true before "the schism" - I remember reading a translation of one of St.Gregory the Great's writings which I'm sure some modern Orthodox would find "too Anslemian" (even though there was no Anslem of Canterbury at the time! :) ); but it must be said in truth, that this emphasis became much more so after Rome's separation from the Eastern Patriarchats. You see this in the begining of such phenomenon as the "stigmata", the development of more graphic portrayals of Christ crucified, in popular devotions, etc.

Placing the origin of this shift is difficult - I think it's a combination of things. Part of it had to do with the misery of the "dark ages" (which were a western phenomenon), including things like the black plague, etc... this probably caused a slight shift in conciousness. But even that is an insufficient explanation. Part of it was an already existing moralistic/judicial tendency in Latin Christianity. A lot of it had to do with the rise of a new "Christian rationalism" (scholasticism) which tried to have systematic, neat, non-paradoxical answers for all of the basic aspects of Christian faith (and I'd argue the Latin/"Anslemian" view of the Cross fits more into such a system of categorization than the Orthodox perspective does or can.)

Juvenaly Says:

I used to know a priest who would tell people, "If you dont suffer (physically) for your sins God does not forgive them."

Many of the penances of this priest as well as almost all Latin priests I knew were very keen on physical corpral punishment.

I used to be in a similar situation - in the normal "Novus Ordo" parish church, then ended up for awhile availing myself of the ministrations of priests from the Society of St.Pius X (SSPX). While there was definatly that big difference in emphasis, it seems to me you were hooked up with a particularly weird set - since I never had an RC priest tell me that you have to "physically suffer" to repair for sin, and I never saw anyone be given a corporal punishment as a penance (if that was your meaning...otoh if you mean corporal punishment of naughty children...well, that's in the Holy Scriptures, so it's neither papist nor sectarian - but if this is the case, that reflects my experience with SSPX priests, who were very "old fashioned" in how they believe family life should be organized.)

Seraphim

Seraphim Reeves

My Two Cents

Post by Seraphim Reeves »

My Two Cents

Yes, I actually saw the film recently. The following are some thoughts on the film itself, and some further thoughts on the reactions it has elicited from different corners (including some Orthodox commentators.)

• Yes, the film is not simply very violent, but incredibly graphic
  • On the other hand, based on the Gospels, Prophetic Scriptures,, the Church's iconography, and other traditions (not to mention the Holy Shroud, which is currently in the possession of the Latins, but once was kept in Hagia Sophia), what was shown in the film was with little doubt on the "level" of what our blessed Lord was subjected to by evil men.

As far as I can tell, save for things which obviously are artistic liberties, I didn't see anything in this film that was actually "false". Some belly aching has been made by Orthodox commentators on the use of Latin by the Romans ("it was Greek I tell you!") - which while not an entirely bad critique, is itself not entirely accurate either; the Romans most certainly spoke Latin at this time, and it's known this was the language of government officials and the upper classes in particular. So at most, it's only partially "off" (perhaps the grunt soldiers should have spoken Greek amongst themselves?) In the end, either way, it's an inconsequential issue, one which neither detracts or adds to one's ability to appreciate this film.

One strong point about the film, is that it clearly portrays Christ's feat as being a contest against the powers of evil - both the sin of mankind, but also the devil. The devil (with a great deal of artistic licence) is made a very explicit character in this film, continually trying to discourage the Lord, mock Him, or appearing to take some pleasure in what he (falsely) perceives to be Christ's defeat.

Visually the film is stunning - it has a very real, textured feel, quite unlike the old "Hollywood Biblical Epics" or the old epic films in general, which tend to have a very sanitized, "staged" feeling to them. It's obvious great pains were taken by the costume department, whether it be for the Temple guards, the Roman soldiers, the Jewish priests, etc.

Refreshingly, the film did not have an overt political/revisionistic agenda. The film has been wrongly called "anti-semitic" for this reason - no effort is made to make the Jews come off any better or worse than they do in the Scriptures, and the same is true of the Romans (particularly Pontius Pilate.) Like in the New Testament, Pilate is a reluctant figure; a brute, but obviously very disturbed by the obvious innocence of the Man they (the Jews) have put in front of him for judgement. As the Gospels indicate, Pilate's wife was a secret follower of Christ, and is shown pleading on the Lord's behalf. Things like this, get under the skin of paranoid Jews and liberals who wish to dictate just what is or is not true in the Scriptures - I suppose it is better to demean our memory of Pontius Pliate (which was never stunning in the first place) than that of the fiend Caiaphas (who was part of a temple elite which even contemporary Jewish sources like Josephus couldn't stand and knew to be crooked and self interested.)

Mel Gibson was correct, when he said in his recent interview with Diane Sawyer (who looked like she was sucking a lemon through the whole thing) that it is not this film which the harshest critics of "The Passion" have the biggest problem - it is with the Gospels themselves (and if you follow their critiques, this actually is plainly stated.)

The film also portrayed events in a way which I think is more or less "Orthodox friendly" (though obviously in same measure they are "Roman Catholic friendly" as well) - the Blessed Virgin has a large role in the story, a very "un-Protestant" emphasis made upon not only her relationship to our Lord, but also to the disciples in general - when Sts.Peter and John are portrayed speaking to her, even they refer to her as "Mother." The same sort of "catholic-ish" interpretation can be seen in the "flash back" sequence of the Last Supper (and the institution of the Eucharist) which splices back and forth with the Crucifixion.

The performances in the film are strong, in so far as they are all that they need to be; save for a few characters, everyone else in this story has more a "function" to play in telling the tale, than an actual "role."

Many have criticized the film for it's lack of balance - it focuses very much upon Christ's sufferings, but with little appeal to His sermons, previous events in His sacred life, and with little emphasis upon the Ressurection. These critiques can be looked at in two ways.

1) One take, is to say "well, DUH, it's called the Passion". There is a lot of merit to that response, since it's not as if the film is not keeping with it's intent and purpose. It is what it is - a portrayal of the last twelve hours of Christ's earthly life before His death.

2) On the other hand, perhaps the very idea of a film JUST about the Passion is the problem. "Yes the film basically succeeds in it's stated goal, but that stated goal is problematic." There is some merit to this too. While I do not agree with this criticism (though personally, I would have liked a perhaps longer film that was more a "life of Christ" even better than the film we got...if I could sit through 3 hours plus of Lord of the Rings, I could certainly sit through a far more edifying story), I do think it is a valid critique to say that more context was needed in the film to explain it's main plot (the story of Christ's sufferings leading up to the Cross.) The film had many excellent examples of "flash back" sequences to previous events in Christ's life - I think it would have made for a stronger film, had there been far more of these, and for their duration to be more significant. Without such things, it's very easy to conclude that this film is in large measure for the "already converted" (preaching to the choir), taking for granted that most westerners in our post-Christian age (particularly young people) actually know the basic outline of the "life of Christ", which I can assure you is not a safe assumption at all.

The criticism I saw posted here from the Paradosis list was as annoying as it was libelous - the actual errors of Papism are bad enough in themselves, without being cartooned and exagerated.

Would this be the film a well grounded Orthodox writer/director make? I sincerely doubt it. I will be careful though in saying WHY I think this...

It is not because vividly portraying the Passion is per se wrong. Rather it is a question of context. The ultimate problem with Latin meditation upon and portrayal of the Passion of the Lord is not the details, as much as it's divorce from context. You don't need to go to an old Spanish RC church to find images of a suffering Christ:

Obviously, one need only mention the Holy Week services to further illustrate this point.

OTOH, I think it can be rightly said you're less likely (not without exception, obviously) to find similar emphasis put upon other aspects of Christ's mission. I cannot recall, at least in contemporary Latin edifaces (or those of the last several hundred years) anything remotely similar to say, the common portrayal of Christ Pantokrator that you'll find in all Orthodox Churches.

To be fair to this new film, it most certainly ends with the Ressurection - it is a very short scene, but I think it could be argued that, given what the film is, it serves the purpose. IOW, it ends on a very hopeful, upbeat note.

Is it the "perfect film"? No, even given it's stated goals, there are things that I think could have been added which would have enhanced it tremendously. Is it a very good film? Definately. Is it better than anything else out there right now? Without a doubt. It's been no end of amusement/sadness for me, that this film has been subjected to the amount of criticism it has been, when most of what passes for entertainment now days is undoubtedly ruinous to family, morality, and round aboutly, the peace and well being of our civilization - and of course, said garbage will be released without similar cries of obnoxious/feigned moral outrage.

As a parting thought, vis-a-vis the explicit nature of this film's violence, I have a theory on this (and I believe it is one alluded to by it's director as well). While it is true that a case can be made for it in so far as it "probably happened this way", I don't think this is the whole story. I think a lot of this had to do with a need to move "joe-average" out of his complacency - something less uncomfortable than this, perhaps, would not have had that effect. Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree.

Seraphim