Lord Have Mercy x 40

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
DavidHawthorne

Lord Have Mercy x 40

Post by DavidHawthorne »

I was wondering, sometimes in our services we chant, "Lord Have Mercy" 3, 12, 30, 40, 50 timess, etc. Is there a reason for the variations? Do the numbers have certain symbolic meanings like 3 is in honor of or to put us in remembrance of the Holy Trinity for example? What would the other variations suggest? Any Orthodox Numerologists out there?

Thanks in advance for any responses,
Rd. David

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

You are right that 3 is for the Trinity and you have general gist down. Here is a little more.

40 is a number associated with penance, purgation, and preparation. Instances, Christ's 40 days in the desert (preparation), the Hebrews in the desert 40 years (all three).

12 is a foundational number. there are 12 sons and tibes of Israel, there are 12 Apostles, 12 foundation stones in the New Jerusalem, Jesus had is first public teaching at age 12. All of these are foundations or beginnings to things.

In the Typicon the order is given as "40-30-50-3-3". In the pre-revolutionary editions, the second petition (with "Lord, have mercy" 30 times) is for the Tsar and the Royal House, while the third petition (with "Lord, have mercy" 50 times) is for the hierarchy and numerous other concerns.

If I find time to look up more for you I will.

DavidHawthorne

Thank You!

Post by DavidHawthorne »

Thank you so much, Father Deacon Nicolai-

Your response to my question was very helpful- I was sure that the number of repititions was not arbitrary but had some meaning and now I can remind myself of those meanings as I chant them at Church!

Yours in Christ,
Rd. David

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

You are welcome David. I noticed you asked these recent questions at a number of sites. Feel free to share my answers at those sites since people there may also be now wondering where to get the inexpensive vestments or reasons for numbers of "Lord Have Mercys", etc.

DavidHawthorne

Yes, I will........

Post by DavidHawthorne »

Thank you again- I will post this answer to the other forum I frequent. I hope someone there will also be edified by your answers as I was...........