What Books Are You Reading?

Chapter discussions and book or film reviews of Orthodox Christian and secular books that you have read and found helpful. All Forum Rules apply.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I am reading:-

1. FOLLOW ME, By Augoustinos N. Kantiotes - Bishop of Florina, Greece

To introduce the work I could not do better than quote a short extract from the translator's foreword, "Our Lord calls us on two seperate, yet connected levels. The first is a general call: "Come to me all who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest." The second is more specific, "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men."

Taking the reader through Christ's earthly Ministry he challenges all - clergy and laity alike - to share in the Church's missionary role to the whole world. He uses practical and actual examples and is not afraid to compare favourable examples of westerners' activities to that of the Orthodox. (One example is the son of the Deputy Fuhrer, Martin Adolf Borman). Nor does he skirt addressing those who shamelessly use the Church to facilitate a life of boundless luxury.

This bishop from, perhaps, the most isolated diocese of the Church of Greece is her oldest heirarch. During the Second World War he courageously remonstrated with the Gestapo on behalf of Greek hostages. He is very strict in regulating Church life in his diocese.

An accessible book written by a remarkable heirarch.

1. Orthodox Faith and Life in Christ. By Archimandrite Justin Popovich

This is a collection essays on a variety of theological issues.

It is characterized by an uncompromising adherence to Orthodoxy. The essays on 'Reflections on the Infallibility of European Man', and, 'Humanistic Ecumenism', remind me very much of 'Against False Union', by Dr Alexander Kalomiros.

While some may have dismissed Dr Kalomiros' work as being the fruit of a 'Greek Old Calendarist', they will not be able to use this against these erudite works. The author was a scholar and priestmonk of the Serbian Orthodox Church. The Tito regime forced him to live in monastic seclusion from 1948 until his death in 1979.

He has subsequently been canonised by the Serbian Church.

Both books are very different, but I draw from them a common thread; Orthodoxy is Christ's invitation to all mankind, and the inclination of some to 'constrain' her to purely local 'national' boundaries is a denial of the Church's mission to the world, a world beyond Europe and Europeans

Ephraem
Jr Member

Post by Ephraem »

Light from the East: Theology, Science, and the Eastern Orthodox Tradition - Alexei Nesteruk

St. Seraphim of Sarov: a Spiritual Biography - Archimandrite Lazarus Moore

Confessions - Blessed Augustine

Ephraem
~He who seeth his own sins, seeth not the sins of others.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Orthodox Faith and Life in Christ is one of my favorite books :)

Andreas

Post by Andreas »

The Soul After Death By Fr. Seraphim (Rose).

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I started On The Mystagogy of the Holy Spirit by Saint Photius a few days ago. This book has an introduction by Michael Azkoul, and also has the Life of Saint Photius written by St. Justin Popovich (along with a Greek version of the text by St. Photius in an appendix). This book is truly awesome! :)

Jakub

Post by Jakub »

I just bought a 2nd edition The Ladder of Divine Ascent, Saint John Climacus. Just read the intro last night before my tired eyes closed & I am sure it will be valuable to me.

james

PFC Nektarios

Post by PFC Nektarios »

Just bought "The Struggle Against Ecumenism: The History of the True Orthodox Church of Greece from 1924 to 1994" By The Holy Orthodox Church in North America.

Its pretty good. Very detailed information with some good pictures and documents.

In Christ
Nektarios