Most Holy Mother of God, save us!

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
The Apostate

Most Holy Mother of God, save us!

Post by The Apostate »

At church, we sing this at the end of some of the litanies, while the deacon is intoning the petition Calling to mind our most holy, most pure... and all our life unto Christ our God, to which we respond To thee, O Lord.

However, having visited an Antiochian parish, I found that I was the only one singing this, and embarrassed, I stopped. Is this a particularly Slavic thing to do?

George Australia
Sr Member

Re: Most Holy Mother of God, save us!

Post by George Australia »

This is the Greek custom also. During the commemoration of the Theotokos in the Litany, people will stand (if sitting) and cross themselves and the choir and people exclaim: "Most Holy Theotokos, Save us!" even while the Deacon is saying the prayer: "Commemorating our most Holy, Pure, Blessed and Glorious Lady......"

"As long as it depends on Monothelitism, then Miaphysitism is nothing but a variant of Monophysitism."

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

Michael wrote:

However, having visited an Antiochian parish, I found that I was the only one singing this, and embarrassed, I stopped.

Good to hear the Antiochians do not do that. Most Orthodox Churches and all Roman Catholic churches are still committing this travesty. We need to put Christ FULLY into Christianity and remove this misguided idea of Mary as a co-redeemer.

CorpusChristi

Post by CorpusChristi »

ROCOR doesnt do this either-Thank God

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

CorpusChristi wrote:

ROCOR doesnt do this either-Thank God

What? It is in the ROCOR Divine Liturgy books and the ones ROCiE has made. (In case by ROCOR you mean the ROCiE or ROCOR-V) It is an old venerable prayer, if you are talking about this

At church, we sing this at the end of some of the litanies, while the deacon is intoning the petition Calling to mind our most holy, most pure... and all our life unto Christ our God, to which we respond To thee, O Lord.

Thomas S is basicly Protestant in his theology, which his GOA priest is fine with, so I expect him to against the traditions of the Church, but why are you saying "Thank God!" CC?

Last edited by 尼古拉前执事 on Tue 31 January 2006 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

TomS wrote:

Good to hear the Antiochians do not do that. Most Orthodox Churches and all Roman Catholic churches are still committing this travesty. We need to put Christ FULLY into Christianity and remove this misguided idea of Mary as a co-redeemer.

Did not the obedience of the Theotokos anull the disobedience of Eve? Does this not make possible our salvation? If Christ listened to His mother and turned water to wine do you not think he will listen to her concerning our salvation?

Tom, I could go on and on with rhetorical questions like this, but I will only add this: Should we not ask her, who is more honorable than the cherubim and beyond compare more glorious that the serphim,to entreat Her Son and our God to save our souls? If not her, who contained the uncontainable fire, then who? If she can not help us then who amongst the rest of the saints can?

Daniel Ph.

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

Daniel wrote:

If she can not help us then who amongst the rest of the saints can?

None.