Most Holy Mother of God, save us!

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Pravoslavny Seraphim

Post by Pravoslavny Seraphim »

cringes a little

If we say we do not know whether the saints are alive or dead, does that not bring us awfully close to believeing in no after life? I have no trouble with asking the prayers of the saints, and yes, they do save us by their prayers. The equivelent would be asking a brother or sister in Christ here on earth to pray for us. The Saints of God in Heaven, the Church Triumphant, is able to offer prayer to the Lord more efficaciously by reason of their position in the Glory of God. Indeed, they more alive than us on earth, because they have put off the corruption of the body and its passions.

When we say "Most Holy Theotokos, save us!" we mean that she who has bourne Christ Our Saviour, by her participation, has and does save us, both by her willingness to bear God to the world, and by her intercession before the throne.

I call to mind the wedding at Cana, where Our Lady asks Jesus to do something because they had run out of wine. And though He said, "It is not my time for miracles," He performed a miracle, at His mother's request, turning the water into wine. He did not refuse her. If we ask the prayers of the Theotokos, who intercedes in the presence of Christ our God, I believe (accept as fact) that Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ answers Our Lady's prayers for us, for she loves mankind, and is our Mother, too.

Last edited by Pravoslavny Seraphim on Sun 5 February 2006 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

Orthodox6 wrote:

I express no disrespect toward Tom S. when I point out that he is well known at this website as one who either disbelieves in some rock-solid basics of the Orthodox faith, or as one who simply relishes the role of gadfly. Newcomers should not be disturbed by his posts. He is familiar to us here.

None taken. Seems like a fair statement to me.

The Apostate

Post by The Apostate »

I didn't want to start anew thread for something that could be asked on an existing thread. The Liturgy at my parish is done in a combination of English, Slavonic and Greek.

However, when it comes to "Most holy Mother of God, save us!" in the Litanies, it is sung by everybody in harmony with great gusto in English liyanies, by one solitary voice in Slavonic litanies, and not at all in Greek litanies.

Please would some kind anmd knowledgeable person post the Slavonic and Greek versions of this for me? Please bear in mind that I read neither Slavonic nor Greek, and so if you post in the proper alphabets, please would you also transliterate into English as well? If so, I should be very, very grateful, as I would like for us to participate fully.

Many thanks.

Michael.

The Apostate

Post by The Apostate »

Oh, come on, folks! You must sing this in your own churches. Surely, somebody must know and be able to help me.

Anybody?

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Slavonic in Latin letterings

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Here is the Slavonic:

Presvjataja Bogorodice, spasi nas, or as some would prefer, Presviataia Bogoroditse, spasi nas.

GOCPriestMark
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC-Metropolitan Kirykos

Post by GOCPriestMark »

Here's my best attempt at the Greek version in English letters:

Panagia Theotokae so so ni mas +

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

Priest Mark Smith
British Columbia

The Apostate

Post by The Apostate »

Thank you both so very much.

I find that if there are one or two strong voices who are unashamed to lead, people become more confident and, after a couple of Sundays, most people join in fully.

I'm so grateful.