Anathema on Ecumenism

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Anathema on Ecumenism

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

In another thread, Julianna graciously posted the ROCOR's anathema on Ecumenism (copied below for convenience). I also BOLDED a vey significant part of this anathema. I guess I would just like to hear if there are any thoughts on this. It seems clear enough to me the bolded text effectively cuts "world orthodoxy" off.

"Those who attack the Church of Christ by teaching that Christ's Church is divided into so-called "branches" which differ in doctrine and way of life, or that the Church does not exist visibly, but will be formed in the future when all "branches" or sects or denominations, and even religions will be united into one body; and who do not distinguish the priesthood and mysteries of the Church from those of the heretics, but say that the baptism and eucharist of heretics is effectual for salvation; therefore, to those who knowingly have communion with these aforementioned heretics or who advocate, disseminate, or defend their new heresy of Ecumenism under the pretext of brotherly love or the supposed unification of separated Christians, Anathema!" -- The Russian Church Abroad's Anathema on Ecumenism.

TomS
Protoposter

Anathema on Ecumenism

Post by TomS »

I support this 100% !!! I wish the GOA would go this route.

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

:idea: Why not join a Church that does like ROAC or GOC?

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

Julianna wrote:

:idea: Why not join a Church that does like ROAC or GOC?

My wife is cradle GOA - that means I have to bring her along slooooooowwwwly.

:wink:

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

Well, looks like the OCA doesn't fall under that anathema:

From the OCA Q&A section of their webpage:

Thank you for your enquiry concerning Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism. The Orthodox Church in America is not "anti-Catholic."

While Orthodoxy is not in communion with Roman Catholicism and Orthodoxy rejects the notion that Roman Catholicism is the "other half" of the Church, this, coupled with the fact that Orthodox doctrine rejects certain teachings unique to Roman Catholicism -

Lukyan

Re: Anathema on Ecumenism

Post by Lukyan »

OrthodoxyOrDeath wrote:

In another thread, Julianna graciously posted the ROCOR's anathema on Ecumenism (copied below for convenience). I also BOLDED a vey significant part of this anathema. I guess I would just like to hear if there are any thoughts on this. It seems clear enough to me the bolded text effectively cuts "world orthodoxy" off.

"Those who attack the Church of Christ by teaching that Christ's Church is divided into so-called "branches" which differ in doctrine and way of life, or that the Church does not exist visibly, but will be formed in the future when all "branches" or sects or denominations, and even religions will be united into one body; and who do not distinguish the priesthood and mysteries of the Church from those of the heretics, but say that the baptism and eucharist of heretics is effectual for salvation; therefore, to those who knowingly have communion with these aforementioned heretics or who advocate, disseminate, or defend their new heresy of Ecumenism under the pretext of brotherly love or the supposed unification of separated Christians, Anathema!" -- The Russian Church Abroad's Anathema on Ecumenism.

I agree with that.

How can any of those who do any of the following be considered our "brothers and sisters"?

1) Call the veneration of the Holy Mother of God and the saints "idolatry";
2) Deny the Real Presence of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in the Holy Eucharist;
3) Maintain that Holy Baptism affects nothing, but is a mere symbol;
4) Revile Christ's Church as "apostate" or "just another denomination";
5) Claim that their private interpretation of the Bible is superior to the Apostolic Tradition of Christ's Church;
6) Ordain women and/or practicing homosexuals to the priesthood and/or the episcopate;
7) Deny the legitimate Apostolic Succession of bishops of the Holy Orthodox Church.

I'm sure I have left some things out, but who can deny that the very Protestant sects with whom we are supposed to be engaged in dialogue don't do some or all of these things?

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

"to those who knowingly have communion with these aforementioned heretics "

The most notable heretic (and there is an army) described in the text is Bartholomew. Now who has communion with him?