The (lack of) Traditionalism or Canonicity of the ROAC?!?

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Methodius

The (lack of) Traditionalism or Canonicity of the ROAC?!?

Post by Methodius »

About Metropolitan Valentine:

He claims that ROCOR does not follow tradition and the canons of the Church, yet he was running for office and obviously trims his beard and hair as a monastic is not allowed to do by tradition and the canons.

No jurisdiction follows the canons to the nth degree of legalism, whether sadly or not, but since ROAC does not, how can you decry ROCOR for doing the same things?

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

:x This is yet another scurrilous rumor about the Metropolitan. He didn't run for office he was besought by the residents of Suzdal to assume a position on the local government body to intercede on their behalf in regard to social issues. He's not a politician.

ania

Post by ania »

Oy, some people just crack me up sometimes. :lol:
If you go to this site, http://www.roac-suzdal.narod.ru/pictures/pictures.html you will see pictures of Vl. Valentine, his beard relatively short in all of them, but sometime of different length. The most telling thing however is this... Anyone who's ever dyed their hair (as I have) or gone grey (as I've watched my dad do), know that the only way your hair will change from the color you changed it too(or for it to go grey from it's original color) is by growing it. There are some pictures where vl. Valentine's bead is very grey (as in streaks of grey running through it), and in others it's very dark. The only way for it to change from one to another is for it to GROW!!! Face it, the man trims his beard.
Thanks for giving me a smile this morning!
Ania

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

Someone's confused and it's not I!

Hair grays from the tips not from it's growth but it's by a lack of melanin That's why you'll sometimes see men with black roots in their gray hair and not gray hair with black tips! :roll:

ania

Post by ania »

:lol: Once again you've succeeded in giving me good cheer so early in the morning. Check out the 4th picture down, m'dear. http://www.roac-suzdal.narod.ru/pictures/pictures1.html, is not that from root to tip? Melanin, granted is what gives hair its color. It's also the pigment that gives your skin and the iris in your eye its color. Lack of it will cause eye-color to fade, as well as skin color. People with no melanin what-so-ever are albinos. What causes gray/white hair is when melanin runs out at the root. I'm fully aware that when spending great amounts of time outside, (as I did when I was younger) your hair tends to fade, because the pigment is bleached. However, I've never seen it bleach naturally in such a formation, usually it would bleach uniformly, at least on the top layer of hair. Besides, he

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

Julianna,
Hope you don't mind me asking but I'm curious to know how you ended up with ROAC? Were you attending a ROCOR parish before your switch? If so, for how long?
Hope that's not too personal...feel free not to answer.

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

Even if a hair goes gray at once like you've said then he wouldn't have to grow it for it to turn gray! Funny you're accusing my bishop of being liberal!

My family was ROCOR but we left for the same reason Metropolitan Valentine did. We're in very good company.