Prayers For Purity

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Prayers For Purity

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:
Orthodox in michigan wrote:

Any information about this would be a good help, would these be a good regular morning prayer rule , I am using one from holy trinity monastery Jordanville currently ,hand have also used prayers from the holy transfiguration monastery Boston.

Which one would you recommend?

I would suggest that you use the prayer book from Holy Trinity Monastery, Jordanville. Do not get a recent version, but try to get an older version. One drawback is that there are lots of English errors as these are translations from the Russian. With my priest, my husband and I have corrected their morning and evening prayers due to all the errors that we have encountered. Without these corrections, it was very distracting to pray from their prayer book. We have placed these corrected pdf copies into plastic sheet protectors. Using 14 type font makes it much easier to read. If you want to have a pdf copy, please let me know. You will find that the Morning and Evening Prayers are very powerful aids in the spiritual life. These prayers help you attain purity of heart, attentiveness, and a more perfect awareness of the Presence of God. Most importantly, the translations of these Russian monastic prayers from Holy Trinity are not found in the HOCNA prayer book.There are also various canons present in the Holy Trinity Prayer Book.

Holy Transfiguration Monastery, Boston, has been changing all their prayers so that Name-Worshiping is not only taught but prayed. Thus, it is best to avoid all their liturgical books as they all have become tainted with the Name-Worshiping (Name-Glorification) heresy. These changes have caused multiple errors in English, so it can be distracting. HOCNA's daily prayer book contains Lauds, Vespers, Compline, the Divine Liturgy, and various canons, so HOCNA has avoided the Russian monastic prayers, which I feel is a great loss.

If you have read the Way of the Pilgrim, then I think you might understand Russian spirituality.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Orthodox in Michigan
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC Archbishop Pachomios

Post by Orthodox in Michigan »

Thank you Maria for your reply post . I prefer the jordanville prayer book , i have found the Boston mealtime prayers helpful , the holy trinity is fourth edition revised second printing with corrections 1996 the Boston one is dated 2005.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Maria wrote:
Justice wrote:
Orthodox in michigan wrote:

Any information about this would be a good help, would these be a good regular morning prayer rule , I am using one from holy trinity monastery Jordanville currently ,hand have also used prayers from the holy transfiguration monastery Boston.

I would suggest that you use the prayer book from Holy Trinity Monastery, Jordanville. Do not get a recent version, but try to get an older version. One drawback is that there are lots of English errors as these are translations from the Russian. With my priest, my husband and I have corrected their morning and evening prayers due to all the errors that we have encountered. Without these corrections, it was very distracting to pray from their prayer book. We have placed these corrected pdf copies into plastic sheet protectors. Using 14 type font makes it much easier to read. If you want to have a pdf copy, please let me know. You will find that the Morning and Evening Prayers are very powerful aids in the spiritual life. These prayers help you attain purity of heart, attentiveness, and a more perfect awareness of the Presence of God. Most importantly, the translations of these Russian monastic prayers from Holy Trinity are not found in the HOCNA prayer book.There are also various canons present in the Holy Trinity Prayer Book.

Holy Transfiguration Monastery, Boston, has been changing all their prayers so that Name-Worshiping is not only taught but prayed. Thus, it is best to avoid all their liturgical books as they all have become tainted with the Name-Worshiping (Name-Glorification) heresy. These changes have caused multiple errors in English, so it can be distracting. HOCNA's daily prayer book contains Lauds, Vespers, Compline, the Divine Liturgy, and various canons, so HOCNA has avoided the Russian monastic prayers, which I feel is a great loss.

If you have read the Way of the Pilgrim, then I think you might understand Russian spirituality.

Thank you. Getting an older copy may be hard, because like the older copies of Fr. Seraphim’s books, the older versions of the Jordanville prayerbook are extemely expensive.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:
Maria wrote:
Justice wrote:

Thank you. Getting an older copy may be hard, because like the older copies of Fr. Seraphim’s books, the older versions of the Jordanville prayerbook are extemely expensive.

I can send you by email the PDF corrected copy of the Jordanville Prayer Book (morning and evening prayers only).

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.