Athenagoras

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Nektarios14

Athenagoras

Post by Nektarios14 »

Christos Anesti!

I know Orthodoxy or Death will know a lot about this and I hope will respond...also I'd like the information of anyone else that knows what went on.

I know starting with simonopetra that all 20 monasteries on the Holy Mountain refused to commorate Patriarch Athenagoras. Yet communion was restored under Patriarch Demetrios and an unsteady communion remains to this day with the EP. What events caused this and why was communion restored? If anything things have gotten worse (balamand, the evection of ROCOR monks etc.) yet communion now exists? Are there any good sources (in English!) about the history of all this.

Eucharisto,

Nektarios

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Alithos Anesti o keedios!

Our church translated a very nice article (below) from Esphigmenou's monthly newsletter Agios Agathangelos o Esphigmenites (September-October 2002)

SKIP DOWN to about the 9th paragraph where it begins to describe some of the history...

http://ecclesiagoc.org/sections/esphigm ... oinder.htm

Then to better understand the heavy hand Bartholomew rules his monasteries which oppose Esphigmenou, this article will help...

http://ecclesiagoc.org/sections/defense ... action.htm

Side note:

I was just researching something today and came across the current list of "heirarchy" at the Phanar...going through this list, I don't think a single one of these "bishops" actually has a flock, which is most absurd - shepherds with no flocks. Which apparently gives them plenty of time to shave down and write ecumenical esssays. :P

Really long URL link here

Logos

Post by Logos »

OOD you are right about the hierarchs having no flocks. Is there a canon that says a bishop must actually have a flock? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the current flock of the Phanar is not that large and most of them are elderly. Could this explain in part why Bartholomew is acting the way he is?

Methodius

Post by Methodius »

logos wrote:

Could this explain in part why Bartholomew is acting the way he is?

I think his being a Mason explains this, actually.

Logos

Post by Logos »

Methodius wrote:
logos wrote:

Could this explain in part why Bartholomew is acting the way he is?

I think his being a Mason explains this, actually.

Is there any tangible evidence that Bartholomew is a mason? I have heard these allegations and I was wondering if there is any validity to them.

Nektarios14

Post by Nektarios14 »

Thanks for the replies,

The links with the history of the current struggle on the Holy Mountain were good reading, even if they were rather depressing.

Does anybody know what all these extra bishops do (besides shave) ? It looks almost like a scaled down Roman Curia to me. Lots of positions that are completly bogus and are 100% political.

Nektarios

Julianna

Yup lots!

Post by Julianna »

logos wrote:

Is there any tangible evidence that Bartholomew is a mason? I have heard these allegations and I was wondering if there is any validity to them.

There is a picture online of him in his Mason "vestments"

Ecumenical Patriarchs Meletius Metaxakis and Athenagoras, were acknowledged Freemasons. Furthermore, in recent decades, Masonic periodicals in Greece have published the names of patriarchs, metropolitans, and archbishops who, it is alleged, are members of the Masonic order. Yet, the hierarchs in question have consistently declined to refute these statements ( Orthodoxos Typos , October 30, 1992). Some individuals have ascribed this to the oaths of secrecy that Masons take.

Only the fact that they are members of the Masonic Lodge could explain why these prominent bishops evade giving a definite answer. They could praise the Masons' philanthropies and declare that there was nothing harmful for Orthodox Christians in the Lodge, but state that they were not members. Just as Patriarchs Demetrius of Constantinople and Parthenius of Alexandria lauded the Moslems, calling Mohammed a prophet of God, yet they could state honestly that they were not Moslems. Denying that they were members would not necessarily be a condemnation of Masonry; nonetheless, they refuse to answer.

It would appear, in fact, that many bishops of World Orthodoxy have capitulated. For example, the new calendar Greek religious newspaper, Orthodoxos Typos (December 9, 1988), openly laments: The leadership of many local new calendar Churches -- that is, bishops, other clergy,theologians, etc. -- have been overcome by Masonry. Well-known church leaders are accused of being Masons. And when they are asked if they are Masons, they avoid answering. A recent example is [the new calendar Archbishop] Iakovos of America, who, despite the challenge made by Orthodoxos Typos (Apr. 29, 1988) [that he answer this question], evaded taking any position on the subject of Masonry, although various periodicals accuse him of having joined its ranks. The usual response to this matter is, "But Freemasonry is not a religion, nor does it purport to be one."

Also read The Kiss of Judas