Psalms during daily prayers.

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Joseph

Psalms during daily prayers.

Post by Joseph »

Dear All:

I recently purchased The Psalter According to the Seventy and I am curious how to fit the appointed daily Psalms, designated in the appendix, into my morning and evening prayers.

If it is relevant, my wife and I are using the Jordanville prayer book and some days I will read the Matinal and/or Vesperal services from the "five pounder", Divine Prayers and Services by Father Seraphim Nassar.

In Christ:
Joseph

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

The Psalms are so important that ancient tradition has decreed that the entire Book of Psalms must be read every week during Daily Offices!

After the Trisagion prayers the appointed Psalms are read: three are prescribed for each hour. Psalm numbers in parentheses refer to the psalm numbering used in the King James Version and most English Bibles, rather than the Septuagint numbering used by Orthodox.)

First Hour: Psalms 5, 89 (90) and 100 (101)

Third Hour: Psalms 16, 24 and 50 (51)

Sixth Hour: Psalms 53 (54), 54 (55) and 90 (91)

Ninth Hour: Psalms 83 (84), 84 (85) and 85 (86)

then follow with the Troparion of the Hour and Day, then the Kontakion of the Hour and Day then Concluding Prayers.

Kathismas can be found at http://www.pomog.org/psalter.shtml