Which kind of Orthodoxy is the correct one?

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

I confessed to an old ROCOR priest once...one who was close to Fr. Seraphim Rose. Not to get into details about my confession...but during this confession some of my "issues" with the OCA came up. My not feeling comfortable with a certain OCA parish, etc. along with the sins I had committed and was asking forgiveness for. After the OCA talk and the confessing of my sins, the priest said : "Let us work first on the keeping of God's commandments, then possibly on these lofty jurisdictional issues. Being 'correct' will not save your soul"

It was so simple...but coming from this particular priest...it really struck me.

Justin Martyr

Kindness

Post by Justin Martyr »

"A kind person-a virtuous person. Between them, there is a big difference. A kind person is kind because he or she accepts people as they are, covers them with kindness. Kindness is beautiful, the most beautiful thing on this earth. Virtuous people are activists, obsessed with the desire to impose their principles and goodness and easily condemning, destroying, hating. Turgenev, Chekhov are kind people. In this world there is a lot of vitue, and so little kindness."
-Fr. Alexander Schmemann

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Virtuous people, as Websters dictionary explains, are people who are pure, or "chaste", or, "conformity to a standard of right", or having "a commendable qaulity".

In Holy Scripture it says to "

Natasha
Sr Member

Not Germany

Post by Natasha »

Fr. Alexander Schmemann was the Dean of St. Vladimir

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Thank you Natasha, I tend to agree with your assesment but always offer the benefit of the doubt out of "kindness". :)

I looked up "Union Theological Seminary" because I had never heard of it...

Under its history I read:

"Union Seminary was a major contributor to the revival of Protestant theology in the 1930s and 1940s; through the work of such distinguished faculty as Paul Tillich and Reinhold Niebuhr it played important roles in the ecumenical movement and development of Neo-orthodoxy. Current contributions are being made in the areas of biblical studies, feminist thought, and liberation theology."

The hair on the back of my neck (and back, and there is allot of it) is only now settling down. Funny that the current dean at SVS is also a very very recent Protestant "theologian" professor emeritus of divinity and other great stuff. He is not even a new-calendarist "priest", yet he is a teacher of new "priests" of the ways of God?. :ohvey:

Last edited by OrthodoxyOrDeath on Sat 31 May 2003 12:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Natasha
Sr Member

RE: OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by Natasha »

OrthodoxyOrDeath wrote: "Funny that the current dean at SVS is also a very very recent Protestant "theologian" professor emeritus of divinity and other great stuff."

Yes, I know. It is very sad to say the least. It just distances me more and more from the OCA.

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

Alexander Schmemann was a modernist and ecumenist. Being virtuous without Christ can't be seriously considered better than being rigorously strict and pious in the faith! :roll: