Крштење-Christening

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Tessa

Крштење-Christening

Post by Tessa »

We're Christening our little Nektarija next Sunday. I thought it would be neat to share Baptism stories/customs in various ethnic churches and different Orthodox juristictions.

As for us we use the same kumovi (God parents) passed down from father to son. So our kids' Godfather, who was also our vjencani kum (like matrimonial sponosor/kumbaro) is the son of my husband's Baptismal Godfather, and so on for about 100 years back to the great-grandparents at least. In Serbia the kum even picks the baby's name, but not in our family. The Baptism is followed by the traditional lunch/party where the guest bring darovi (like presents) usually gold.

I am interested in hearing more from everyone else.
In Christ
Tessa

cizinec

Post by cizinec »

SrbMama,

Srecno Krstenje! (Sorry, I haven't messed with Serb fonts on this PC yet).

That sounds great!

Being converts to Serbian Orhtodoxy, we had a bit of a learning curve. Fortunately, our priest, who is from Serbia, is very traditional and proud of the Serbian traditions. He has helped us since before our son was born.

We wanted his kum to be Serbian, but, unfortunately it couldn't be.

His kum is a close friend from England and a convert. Our son was born the day after the Nativity of Saint John the Baptist, so our son's name is Ian. I know, it's not very Serbian, but then I'm a Yank and his kum is a Brit. He is an excellent kum and has been very active in our sons life.

We named him after a lot of prayer and talks with our priest and our son's kum.

We're still trying to move up on that learning curve. 8)

George Australia
Sr Member

Post by George Australia »

Here's a wierd custom that's fun for kids. On my departed mother's island of Limnos, the father of the infant to be baptised makes out that he doesn't know his child's name, and he stands outside the church during the baptism. The children present at the Baptism strain to hear the name with which the Priest baptises the infant, and as soon as they hear him say "The servant of God so-and-so is baptised..." they run out of the church to "inform" the father of his child's name, and he rewards them with sweets.

"As long as it depends on Monothelitism, then Miaphysitism is nothing but a variant of Monophysitism."

Tessa

Post by Tessa »

Thanks guys, cool traditions!

Well Sunday went off without a hitch. Nektarija was completely happy and smiled the WHOLE time. :) She even tried to grab Father's TREBNIK (service book).

We had about 40-50 people afterwards in our 1000 sq. foot house. It was an absolute blast and nice way to celebrate the "Mesne Poklade" (when you give up meat, I don't know how else to translate it). If someone could host pics for me I would be glad to share.

In Christ
Tessa