Saint Seraphim Youth Camp 2003

Moderators: Mark Templet, Mark Templet

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Saint Seraphim Youth Camp 2003

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

I thought I would post this, as some of you might be interested. It sounds like a great camp and one of our fellow posters, Bethany is even one of the camp counselors there. /\

St. Seraphim Camp is the largest English language camp for Orthodox Young people in North America. We have campers participate from parishes throughout America and Canada. The camp is located on a 500 acre camp in the beautiful Pocono Mountains of northeastern Pennsylvania near Scranton.

This year's camp will be held from Sunday, July 27th through Sunday, August 3rd. The cost is still only $150.00 per child. We accept children from grades 3 through 12.

Last edited by 尼古拉前执事 on Mon 16 June 2003 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

This sounds cool I wish I met the age requirements!

MaryCecilia

Miss Anastasia
Jr Member

Post by Miss Anastasia »

Bethany, can you tell me about this camp? It sounds like fun!

In Christ's Love,
Miss Anastasia
(aka crazy hyper person!)

Bethany

Post by Bethany »

Hi Anastasia :)

Camp is really fun. Everyone there has a great time. All the kids are really nice and become friends very fast. We have camp fires almost every night and one night we have Junior Olympics, and Fleshkii (Capture the Flag). It's really fun. During the day there are different activities, and they are changing them each year. Ecah group (about 10 kids) has two senior counselors (above 21 yrs old) and 2 junior counselors (under 21). We have a lot of fun!

If you have anymore questions, let me know!

I hope to see you there soon!

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Bethany, what spiritually is offered at the camp?

On a totally unrelated note, with this post I now have 900 posts both here and at OCnet, therefore branding me as one with no life! :D

Matushka Anna

Camp

Post by Matushka Anna »

Dear Nick,

Bethany, what spiritually is offered at the camp? <

I'm not Bethany, but....

Each day begins with Morning Prayers and ends with Evening Prayers. The kids study the Law of God (lectures by priests and others) after breakfast each morning and discuss all kinds of religious questions with the resident priests, deacons, readers, matushki, etc., often asking things they don't want to run by their own priests or parents.

The food is fasting on fast days.

There are generally two Vigils and Divine Liturgies, one for St. Seraphim's Day and one for the Sunday on the last day of camp. THe kids are the choir.

On a less lofty plane, the quality of the crafts and activities makes me wish I were a kid. The older boys made a fooz ball game. The kids learn about the river, there's archery and some kind of rifle range.

It is, in the words of youngest son, "mad cool fun."

Hope this helps!

In Christ,
Matushka Ann

Valentina
Jr Member

St. Seraphim Camp

Post by Valentina »

I had the priveledge of going to the Camp from 1997 until 2001. I didnt go last year and im not sure about this year. But there is a lot of spirituality offered. When I was there, I felt like I was understood for once and that all of us were united as brothers and sisters. Everyone is kind and the priests are especially kind. They truly make you feel comfortable and talk about interesting topics about religion (Law of God which was mentioned) and any topics concerning or affecting youth today. I suggest anyone who is interested to go. You feel inspired to be a better Orthodox Christian.I think that the deadlines for applications are soon so you guys should hurry if your're interested.