The 'Hard Words" of Archbishop Averky

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justin Kissel

The 'Hard Words" of Archbishop Averky

Post by Justin Kissel »

We must be clearly aware of the kind of time in which we live. Indeed, only a spiritually blind roan, or one who had already sold his soul to the enemies of our holy faith and Church, could fail to sense the spirit of the approaching Antichrist in everything which is now happening in the world. Of what sort of genuine union of all Christians in the spirit of Christian love can one speak now when the Truth is denied by almost everyone, when deceit is in control almost everywhere, when a genuinely spiritual life among people who call themselves Christians has dried up and been replaced by a carnal life, an animal life which has nonetheless been placed on a pedestal and concealed by the idea of pretended charity which hypocritically justifies any sort of spiritual excess, any sort of moral anarchy. Indeed it is from this that are derived all these numberless "balls," various kinds of "games," "dances" and amusements toward which, despite their immoral, anti-Christian nature, even my modern clergymen have a tolerant attitude, sometimes even organizing them themselves and participating in them.

Well, what say you? What do you think of this last sentence?

Seraphim Reeves

Hard words, but true words

Post by Seraphim Reeves »

Perhaps in the past it was possible to say that most of the activities secular western society took for granted were "ok", but we're far beyond that. Indeed, as Archbishop Averky makes clear, we were already getting beyond that decades ago.

A large part of the entertainments and fashion sense of the western mainstream are completly unacceptable for Orthodox Christians. They are either explicitly or implicitly anti-Christian, imparting a carnal, passionate mentality in their participants.

Seraphim

Logos

Re: Hard words, but true words

Post by Logos »

seraphim reeves wrote:

Perhaps in the past it was possible to say that most of the activities secular western society took for granted were "ok", but we're far beyond that. Indeed, as Archbishop Averky makes clear, we were already getting beyond that decades ago.

A large part of the entertainments and fashion sense of the western mainstream are completly unacceptable for Orthodox Christians. They are either explicitly or implicitly anti-Christian, imparting a carnal, passionate mentality in their participants.

Seraphim

I agree 100% with you Seraphim.

Justin Kissel

Though I have my own ideas...

Post by Justin Kissel »

I'd be interested to hear what "games" and "balls" you think he's talking about?

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

My guesses.

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Balls refer to dance, and dances where there is simulated marital contact would probably fit this description. Perhaps costume balls where people wear immodest clothes? As for games, games of chance as in gambling perhaps?

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

But are there a "numberless" amount of dancing-type balls? Or is he speaking of different types of balls? (e.g., footballs) I'm curious as to what y'all think. And regarding "games"... to what extent does this go? Would raffles that are used to raise money have been considered "games" or "gambling" by Archbishop Averky?

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

:ohvey:

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Footballs? :ohvey: A ball is a celebration with games and dancing, usually with a theme. There are many, many kinds!

Last edited by 尼古拉前执事 on Tue 8 April 2003 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.