GIORGIOS' PROFILE PROPOSAL FOR CONSIDERATION

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Aristokles
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Post by Aristokles »

fserafim wrote:

I have also noticed that one of you of hidden identity reminds me of "Love +BT". I wonder if he is lurking here in disguise!

Would that that be true! I am, however, elated that we have real clerics contributing on these boards. Their (your) participation is a blessing.

Demetri

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

The question of anonymity seems to have been brushed on here, and it is also something which has come up on other forums, so I would like to state my personal position, which is probably not that of anybody else here.

To some or even many, openly stating your name and identity is either considered or characterized as being necessary to establish trust, responsibility, and credibility. It is also considered important in the establishment of relationships and truthfulness. And I might well agree with all of that!

On the other hand: A forum such as this is by its very nature “anonymous”, in that anybody in the world can come, lurk, read, and learn – it is a fish bowl. This is intended of course. But what is not necessarily intended (at least for me) is that people I do not know learn personal things about me, my family, and my life which inevitably come out over time. And these are by no means limited to orthodox minded people.

Today, all one has to do is do a Google search on a persons name and they can often find out a great deal, and these people are potentially the enemies of Orthodoxy. There can easily be situations where people I don’t even know take something I say out of context and transmits that to someone I do know, even intentionally, to hurt me or the Orthodox cause. I can think of many other undesirable situations and am sure there are many more I have not thought of. Most people would not want the FBI to have a file on them, and I certainly don’t want the entire world to have a file on me of any kind.

I guess my point is that if people are going to get to know me personally, I would like that to be done on equal terms and with my ascent. Those who I have grown to trust and respect know who I am. I have also not claimed to be a bishop, a priest, or anything other than a forum handle, and I would hope that anything I say is either true or false on its own merits and not because of whose saying it.

To conclude, I will say that if someone wants to know who I am, if that person has established a reputation of at least being respectful on this forum or another forum, I would be happy to reveal it.

Giorgos

THAT IS A GOOD OPPORTUNITY...

Post by Giorgos »

+

Dear in Christ Brothers and Friends,
With the new ### of the posters, this a good opportunity for illustrate the convenience of REAL NAMES. Do you think that some can write to other some as?:

"hey,007,
your post is OK.
But beware with 900, that seems suspicious,
Yours,
89 (Maxwell Smart)"

Code: Select all

LOL,LOL, LOL.

GIORGOS
Last edited by Giorgos on Sat 16 October 2004 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Giorgos,

Your posts are confusing. In some you use broken English and in others your English is perfect and with big words...for someone that doesn't speak well in English.

What's up with that?

Giorgos

MY ENGLISH...

Post by Giorgos »

+
Dear in Christ Joasia (Miss,Mr?) [This is not a joke],

Code: Select all

Precisely this is the problem with my English.

I am from a generation that has been educated with some high standards: In the National College of the La Plata University, I had six years of French and five of English as Foreign Languages.
Sometimes, I can write without many problems,sometimes not. It's depend of matters,readings, et coetera. Besides this depend from the speed in write and a good Dictionary at hand .
My family have a Greek background, but my native language is Spanish.
I understand some of Greek, of course, and as all the argentinians some of Italian.
But,in generally, I speak so so .
There are not mistery in all of this.
And, please, my precedent message is so bad?
Giorgos

PS. A REMARK, DO YOU REMEMBER A TOPIC NAMED "SHOW US YOUR PICTURE!"?
Nobody was capable to inform at the all poor posters that has a danger in publish his portraits, what are now, God knows in what hands ...? LOL, LOL and LOL

Last edited by Giorgos on Sun 17 October 2004 1:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
gphadraig

Post by gphadraig »

May I lodge with anyone who might be interested that I am totally and utterly lost. I write this not in sense of complaint but simple puzzlement. Where has this twist in the thread come from and more importantly where is it going?

Giorgos

A RESPONSE TO GPHADRAIG

Post by Giorgos »

DEAR IN CHRIST GPHADRAIG (IS A NAME?),
If you are in this thread you have possibly see that there are a question from Joasia about my English. These has been my answer.
Besides, there are a mini-response to the defenders of the anonimity because he thinks that reveal his own identities is dangerous.
Yours, IN THE LOVE OF CHRIST
Giorgos

Last edited by Giorgos on Sat 16 October 2004 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.