An anecdote and a parable of sorts....

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Mor Ephrem

Re: Mariam = Miriam = Mary = Maria

Post by Mor Ephrem »

Deacon Nikolai wrote:

The Greek tradition allows people to name themselves after the Ever Virgin Mary the Theotokos, while this is not part of the Russian traditional praxis. Let us not lash out in zeal without knowledge here.

Russian tradition doesn't allow naming someone after Our Lady?? Since when??

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Hey Zeus and Ave Maria!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

I am not sure how long it has been, but I had been told this long before I became Orthodoxy. No one is named after the Theotokos or Christ unlike in Mexico where Jesus and Maria are some of the top names for children. Most Marias baptized in to the Russian Orthodox Church are named after Mary of Egypt or one of the other Holy Maidens rather than the Mother of God.

gphadraig

Post by gphadraig »

This thread seems to contain 1) an unpleasant side, and 2) erroneous information, me thinks.

First, many, many Orthodox saints of the new covenant and believers bear names of Noble characters from the old covenant.

Second, I remember only a few years ago visiting France with three Russian princesses, one of whom was named Maria. She came from a very pious Russian family.

(As an aside, a friend of mine was in a part of London with a sizeable Jewish population. In a conversation he was introduced by one woman by name with the tag, and he's Orthodox. After my friend left one person made the observation that he didn't look very Jewish. When my friend was told this later he replied people often made the assumption that if you were Orthodox, you were Jewish, indeed to some the only true Jews as the Liberal and progressives weren't truly Jewish.)

Miriam

Post by Miriam »

Joasia:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I haven't laughed so hard or so long in a long time. Joasia, honey, readjust your scarf...your prejudice is showing. I would remind you about the old saying regarding assuming things. :D .....

As has been stated elsewhere here in this fora and for your edification since you insist on assuming.....I am cradle Orthodox. And yes, I am comfortable enough with who and what I am that I allow myself to laugh at who and what I am.... :)

Miriam

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

miriam wrote:

.....I am cradle Orthodox.

Oh! Well Miriam, then you must understand that, according to rabid converts, you simply do not understand your faith! :lol:

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

Schultz

Post by Schultz »

mor ephrem wrote:

Why do people insist on letting Roman Catholics define who we are? We have the Ecumenical Councils for that. The title Orthodox is a lot older than 1054. If I'm not mistaken, Orthodox was first used at the First Ecumenical Council.

Oh what do you know, you'rea heretic, too, remember! ;)

Aristokles
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Post by Aristokles »

Schultz wrote:
mor ephrem wrote:

Why do people insist on letting Roman Catholics define who we are? We have the Ecumenical Councils for that. The title Orthodox is a lot older than 1054. If I'm not mistaken, Orthodox was first used at the First Ecumenical Council.

Oh what do you know, you'rea heretic, too, remember! ;)

He wasn't a "heretic " in A.D. 325 and Mor Phil is correct! :lol:

Demetri