There Is No Greater Love Than This...

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Justin2

There Is No Greater Love Than This...

Post by Justin2 »

...that a man should lay down his life for his friends.

The Teacher Chose Death:
Elderly Teacher Insisted on Remaining with
His Students

Hebrew Press

Yanis Kanidis -- A Hero
The Teacher Chose Death

Code: Select all

In an act of unlimited devotion and dedication to the bitter end, 

an elderly teacher insisted on remaining with his students. He protected
them, bandaged their wounds, and with his death, saved their lives.

Children who escaped from the school told of how they owed their 

lives to elderly Yanis (Ivan) Kanidis, age 74, a man of Greek origin,
who worked as a gym teacher at the school. He was among the hundreds of
teachers, students and parents taken hostage last week when Chechen
rebels invaded the large school.

On Thursday, in what was an unusual humanitarian move in the midst 

of the horror, the terrorists agreed to allow a group of women and
babies to leave the building. The commander of the terrorist squad, saw
Kanidis -- a sickly elderly man -- and offered to allow him to walk
free as well.

But Kanidis refused. "I will stay with my students till the end," 

the teacher insisted.

"Whatever you say," said the terrorist, dismissing him with a wave 

of the hand.

"He was just like Janus Korzchak, who accompanied his pupils to 

Auschwitz," said one of the students who was saved.

Like Korzchak, Kanidis didn't just accompany his students, he 

guarded their lives. On Friday, when the children began to lose
consciousness from the blistering heat and their thirst, Yanis went to
the terrorists. "You have to give them something to drink, at least to
the smallest children," he insisted angrily. One of the terrorists hit
him with the butt of his rifle, but the teacher continued to yell: "How
dare you!? You claim you are people of the Kafkaz region, but here in
the Kafkaz even a dog wouldn't turn down the request of an old man!"

His efforts bore fruit. The terrorist allowed the teacher to wet 

one of the bibs of the children and pass it around to dampen the mouths
of the little ones who were choking from thirst. The hostages who
escaped told how the teacher repeatedly risked his own life in order to
save the children. He moved explosive devices that the terrorists had
placed near the young students, and tried to prevent them from
detonating others.
When the first bomb exploded next to the windows of the school, parents
and children began to run out. The terrorists, trying to prevent their
escape, threw a grenade at them. The elderly teacher ran to the grenade
to prevent it from exploding on the children. One of the terrorists shot
at the teacher to try to stop him and Yanis was wounded in the shoulder,
but didn't give up. With the last of his strength, he continued to run,
jumped on the grenade, covering it with his body. The grenade exploded,
and the body of the teacher absorbed the explosion, protecting the
children around him from injury.

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

May he pray for us in Paradise...

Justin2

Post by Justin2 »

I was afraid to say it, as only God knows the eternal fate of men, but how could this selfless servant of helpless infants not be in heaven after such a sacrifice?

user_384

Post by user_384 »

does anyone know if he was Orthodox? wouldn't this be martydom then?

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

Of course he was. Ossetia/ Beslan is Orthodox Christian. John was greek Orthodox, but when he went to Russia. He became Russian....

Now I really don't know. That's GOD's decision if we shall see if this was true martyrdom.

Justin2

Post by Justin2 »

I think martyrdom is constantly being confused, particularly in the Russia/Chechnya arena. If the Chechen terrorists had demanded some kind of religious change on the part of the people there, or killed them simply for being Christians, then it could definitely have been martyrdom. But this was a political situation, not so much a religious one, though the participants no doubt were convinced that God was with them (chalk that up in the book of history's worst assumptions).

The same thing happened with the soldier who was beheaded on video by Chechens. His mother has had icons painted of him, and is trying to have him canonized, but he wasn't killed for his faith, he was killed for his country, and these are two different things. It's like being an Orthodox soldier in Iraq, and because you've been killed by a Muslim, it makes you a martyr. I disagree with this, and I think it has more to do with coping with grief than anything else.

But all arguments aside, what Yanis did was absolute self-sacrifice, based on love for the children he was responsible for. Only God knows, but I'm sure this reflection of Yanis' true character and love for others had to have said something for him in terms of where he ended up on the other side of eternity.

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

Justin wrote:

I think martyrdom is constantly being confused, particularly in the Russia/Chechnya arena. If the Chechen terrorists had demanded some kind of religious change on the part of the people there, or killed them simply for being Christians, then it could definitely have been martyrdom. But this was a political situation, not so much a religious one, though the participants no doubt were convinced that God was with them (chalk that up in the book of history's worst assumptions).

The same thing happened with the soldier who was beheaded on video by Chechens. His mother has had icons painted of him, and is trying to have him canonized, but he wasn't killed for his faith, he was killed for his country, and these are two different things. It's like being an Orthodox soldier in Iraq, and because you've been killed by a Muslim, it makes you a martyr. I disagree with this, and I think it has more to do with coping with grief than anything else.

But all arguments aside, what Yanis did was absolute self-sacrifice, based on love for the children he was responsible for. Only God knows, but I'm sure this reflection of Yanis' true character and love for others had to have said something for him in terms of where he ended up on the other side of eternity.

+

Are you talking about Saint Eugene/Evgeny? (Technically the Moscow Patriarchate is planning to glorify him in the coming of the next year or so. But Eugene's situation was different. His grandmother gave him a cross to wear and his mother want him to throw it away. The Tchetchens threatened Eugene and his friends to convert to Islam and they would be let free. But of course Eugene refused. And because of his heroic Orthodox stance for Martyrdom his mother became a believer.

(hopefully you were talking about him.)

Regarding John/Ivan, being a true Christian and accepting death as it comes is a very great sign of Christian piety. Usually those saints that die for a be pious but not for Christianity are classified Passion Bearers for the Russians, but for the Orthodoxy in general, it's Martyrdom. Examples are: Saints Royal Martyrs Gleb and Boris, Nicholas and his family.

So I think it's a matter of time and we'll see.