What is your favorite type of Orthodox Christian chanting?

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

What is your favorite kind of Church chant?

Arabic or Syrian Style

4%

Byzantine or Greek Style

31%

Znameny or Old Believer Style

29%

Russian or Harmony Style

24%

Serbian or Whisper Style

No votes

Latin or Gregorian Style

2%

American or Protestant Style

No votes

Some other style I will post about here

10%

Total votes: 51

Sean
Faith: Old Calendar Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HOTCA

Post by Sean »

romiosini wrote:

ha? Boston Schism? When did this happen? And I thought Znammeney chant was influenced by byzantine and its origin is from the begining of byzantine chanting no?

I apologize. Please allow me to make myself clearer. Znamenney chant certainly did originate from Byzantine. In fact, Znamenney is closer to the Byzantine chant used before the Turkokratia than current Byzantine chant. My point was that Slavophiles who love polyphonic chanting tend to be very disdainful of monophonic chanting, which ties into a general disdain for all things Greek, as Byzantine chant is monophonic, with an ison. When the Greek faction of ROCOR broke away to form HOCNA (the so-called "Boston Schism") in 1986, this further reinforced anti-Greek sentiments which were already in place among Slavophiles within ROCOR.

--Sean

Some people prefer cupcakes. I, for one, care less for them...

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

Man that is just inexcusible. (No offense to any Orthodox) Anyways, hatred to Hellenism isn't needed, Hey, historicly speaking of Slavs and the Hellenes meet up so many times in history, and there shouldn't be an excuse for hatred. It is really good to know that every Nation developped in its own way with Orthodoxy making them unique in Traditions. But what can you do? Pride of man, makes hatred.

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

Father-Deacon Nikolai, Just thought I'd tell you thankyou again for posting all that very interesting church chanting/music history, as I said before, I am very interested in that type of stuff, do you have any more history of types of chanting to post on here for us? Thankyou again!

In Christ,
the sinner, Mary

Joe Zollars

Post by Joe Zollars »

I am voting for Latin/Gregorian Chanting. Although one should be clear, I mean the actual gregorian chant not "Sacred Polyphony" which began to came into play after the 9th Century. I am also a fan of the Gaelic, Mozarabic, and Gallican tones as well as those used in Hungary and Germany prior to the Schism.

Among eastern music I like Znamny. Everything else sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Joe Zollars

_cizinec_

Post by _cizinec_ »

Ioannes72,

I'm a little confused. I've heard Byzantine chant, although I'm really not that familiar with it. While I can tell that Serbian chant is heavily influenced by Byzantine chant, as one would expect, it certainly doesn't seem identical.

I have an article that basically concludes that Serbian chant is another form of an older Byzantine chant style. I'll have to pull it out of my things at home and post it. It is an interesting article. But while the chants are very similar, the style seems very different to me, and I don't think they are minor nuances. The same has been said of Carpatho-Rusyn Prostopinije and Znamenny, although I would insert a similar caveat.

Unfortunately, I don't have the same formal education in music as my wife, who had the good sense to study non-Western music. Seeing it on paper, I have no problem. Of course chanting doesn't always lend itself to writing.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong or a little misguided.

Sean
Faith: Old Calendar Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: HOTCA

Post by Sean »

My parish's choir director once told me that there are actually two forms of chant used in the Serbian Church. One is choral and similar to Kievan, but not identical. The other is Byzantine, and is sometimes sung in two part harmony.

--Sean

Some people prefer cupcakes. I, for one, care less for them...

_cizinec_

Vesna Peno & Centrul de Studii Bizantine Iaşi

Post by _cizinec_ »

This is the interesting article I was discussing. It is by Vesna Peno and is published by Centrul de Studii Bizantine Iaşi.

You have to register to see the article. I didn't see a copyright, but I'd rather send the link and have you register than break any rules.

It is the second article down and is definitely worth the read.

http://www.csbi.ro/gb/revista03.html