What is your favorite type of Orthodox Christian chanting?

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

What is your favorite kind of Church chant?

Arabic or Syrian Style

4%

Byzantine or Greek Style

31%

Znameny or Old Believer Style

29%

Russian or Harmony Style

24%

Serbian or Whisper Style

No votes

Latin or Gregorian Style

2%

American or Protestant Style

No votes

Some other style I will post about here

10%

Total votes: 51

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

As for Russian music, foreigners like Orthodox hymns best!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

9 October 2005, 13:32
A newspaper: As for Russian music, foreigners like Orthodox hymns best
http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=461

Moscow, October 19, Interfax - The foreigners buy records of Orthodox hymns at the Moscow airports in the first instance

These records do not lie in church shops for too long. However, they records are not so popular in common musical shops, that is among most Russians, Argumenty i Fakty weekly wrote Wednesday.

The newspaper notes that Russian church singing is considered the peak of spirituality in the world, while the quality of sound and design of the audio-cassettes and CDs are not inferior to the best secular collections.

For instance, chants recorded on the ‘Old Russian Church Hymns of the 17th century’ СD give an idea of how Divine services were celebrated at that time. They were sung not by notes, but by nomens, or kryuks (znamens in Slavonic) added above the texts of prayers, psalms and troparions. Hence the name of Znamenny chant which has been the basis of monastic singing.

The classical pieces of liturgical singing are the recordings of the choir of the Lavra of the Holy Trinity and St. Sergius conducted by Archimandrite Matthew for over 30 years.

Authors’ singing is also being developed. Priests, monks, nuns and parishioners write verses or take religious verses and arrange them on their own music and then perform them under accompaniment of piano or guitar.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Re: Vesna Peno & Centrul de Studii Bizantine Iaşi

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

_cizinec_ wrote:

This is the interesting article I was discussing. It is by Vesna Peno and is published by Centrul de Studii Bizantine Iaşi.

You have to register to see the article. I didn't see a copyright, but I'd rather send the link and have you register than break any rules.

It is the second article down and is definitely worth the read.

http://www.csbi.ro/gb/revista03.html

The Tonal Foundations of Serbian Church Chant

Like the other peoples belonging to the family of the Eastern Orthodox Church the Serbians, too, showed during their religious musical practice an essential will to cling to inherited tradition coupled in later history to a growing desire not to miss certain modern changes that most other peoples around them, not excluding the Greeks, were seen eager to adopt. This paper is an attempt to show the similarity between the Serbian and the post-Byzantine chant traditions, especially those which, despite the various notations used, obviously relate to the area of the scale organization of modes.

The key event in later Serbian history, which also marked a turn towards the western world and its values, was the migration of the Serbian people from Kosovo to regions of Austro-Hungary at the end of the seventeenth and the beginning of the eighteenth centuries. After these two migratory waves settled influences came to the fore under which new varieties of Serbian chant arose. The influence which was then coming from Russian and Ukrainian teachers, experts in so-called "znameni rospjev" and other Russian chants, such as polyphonic-four part singing, directed the Serbian chant tradition towards the sound of European refined music, and away from its Byzantine roots.

The comparison made by the author between hymns from the Serbian and Greek Octoechos - Anastasimatarion, done by transposing the Serbian melodies into the final tones of the respective Greek hymns confirmed the original expectations that the scale progression of Serbian hymns corresponds completely to the natural scale progression of post-Byzantine melodies. They have the same tones (kataliksis) which appear at the end of melodic patterns, along with other main tones which represent the framework of the melody.

A clear conclusion concerning the scale structure of Serbian chant can be drawn only after new transcriptions of melodies into contemporary staff notation are made.

As it was pointed out, by accepting the staff notation system, Serbian church melodies were graphically fixed in the tempered major-minor system. The process of learning them from notes, especially using intonation from a piano or other tempered instrument, has meant that in time the various sizes of intervals of the second and third have led to only two sizes which exist in the tempered system. Only older Serbian chanters who did not learn the chants from notes but by ear can discern elements of the natural untempered sound.

It is thus a fact that modern Serb chant practice has preserved the key melodic elements from the neumatic chant tradition of the Orthodox people in the Balkans.

Kollyvas
Protoposter

Lesser Known Varieties Of Russian Orthodox Chant

Post by Kollyvas »

http://www.liturgica.com/html/litEOLitM ... tname=null

• Kondakarian Chant
• Put’ Chant
• Demestvenny Chant
• Other Varieties
• Strochny Polyphony
• Partesny Singing

Kondakarian Chant...

CGW

Post by CGW »

The only "Protestant" chanting style I know of is Anglican chant, which is similar to the Russian harmonized style.

I disagree that English does not lend itself to chanting; machine-gun repetition, however, will not do. I am accustomed to doing Gregorian chant in English, and the constantly shifting stresses are a challenge necessary to really making sense.

Kollyvas
Protoposter

Anglican Plainsong

Post by Kollyvas »

Anglican plainsong was adapted to Slavonic useage in the Russian church during the reign of the Tsar'-Martyr: it was a favourite of the court. There was even a children's choir in St. Petersburg which regularly performed it. Some years ago, I came across a modern rendition from the MP--it was done quite well...
r

chrsstms

Favorite chant

Post by chrsstms »

Greetings!

Mine is DEFINITELY Byzantine chant. Old Latin chant would come a close second. I also enjoy the traditional Anglican chant. I have heard a mixed tape of some Church of Christ chants which I also liked very much.

Russian chant I do not like, I find it too much like opera and VERY boring and not condusive (sp?) to prayer. Just my opinion. Even when I faithfully attended Holy Protection Church on Argyle (in Los Angeles) and later Holy Transfiguration Cathedral on a regular basis I could not stay the whole service and had to step outside for awhile.

I have quite a few Byzantine chant CDs and tapes, the Monastery of Sts Kyprian & Justina in Fili being my favorites, not to mention St John the Foreunner Church's website which has GREAT streaming chant for high broadband!!! http://www.ecclesiagoc.org/

I like Byzantine chant because it is DIFFERENT, very much so from a Western perspective. The ison is better than any instrumentation.

Chrysostomos

Blessed Nativity to all!!

JAMESthePERSIAN
Jr Member

Chanted Arabic

Post by JAMESthePERSIAN »

Though My church chants in Znammeny/old Russian Style, I love the sound of Arabic chanted. As an ancient language, Arabic Rhymes perfectly, whether spoken or chanted. It has to do with the structure of Arabic. I have lots of experience with Arabic, but very little with Arabic liturgy, beyond some recordings and Ancient Faith Radio stuff. I think all of the truly Orthodox chant has a certain beauty though.
I have studied Church Slavonic a bit, and just started stydying Modern Russian, Which I really enjoy. It is a snap compared to Arabic, Which i used to make a living for many years in the Military as an Arabic Linguist.

May God be merciful to me, a sinner
-James