need some help for my project

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Liudmilla
Sr Member

need some help for my project

Post by Liudmilla »

I'm working on an altar cloth cover, I need to find how to write the word HOLY in as many languages as I can get. My core languages are Slavic, greek,latin and aramaic. I've got Greek but need the rest. Can anyone help with latin, and most especially aramaic?

Contributions of other languages are also wanted. I know there are many people from around the world here so all or any language is appreciated.

Thank you ever so much!
Milla

P.S. Any language not keyboard friendly....maybe you could send an email?
:)

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

???

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Liudmilla, is it the same project as this one?

Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

Dcn Nick:

Yup, same project....the idea has grown and I'm almost ready for the border where I want to incorporate the word Holy in as many languages as I can. I will need time to block them out on graph paper, a big task in itself. I will try to post a picture as soon as I can so everyone can see what I mean.

Milla

Nektarios14

Post by Nektarios14 »

What is the context the word is being used in? If I know that I can help with the Latin.

Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

I want to use the word "Holy" to mean holy or sacred as in an object. This cloth is meant to be used to cover the altar when not in use. As I understand it the priest covers the top of the altar at the end of the service. This cloth will serve this purpose. I want to embroider the word as a border in as many languages as I can fit.

Milla

Nektarios14

Post by Nektarios14 »

Sanctus is the Latin form.

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

-yup Nectarius is right on the Latin: Sanctus
-in greek of course (my speciality): Άγιος (pronounced Ah-yee-os)
-Romanian: Sfântul (:D yes I actually know it in romanian)
-In arabic though... if only I knew how to write it, I know it's "mar" (Thanks to my arab speaking yeronda)
-In Serbian is very easy: it's Sveti (in latin letters) Свети (In cyrillic)
-in Ruska (Russian) I think it's: Святой (All russian speakers, correct me if I am wrong)
-in Spanish I think it's " Santo" and Saint I think it's "San"

:D (and the funny part is, I can't talk any of these languages except for greek, english, french)