Kyrie Elyson

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
demetrios karaolanis
Jr Member

Kyrie Elyson

Post by demetrios karaolanis »

I thought that it would be interesting to start a general discussin thread on the use and practice of the jesus prayer, and how it is practiced and used in the day by monks as well as some secular people. I would like to hear any comments you have so I hope to hear from you.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Do you have a chotki Demetrios? I have one, but must admit that I just say the Jesus prayer on my own without it usually. Personally I cross myself when saying it as such:

Forehead: Lord Jesus Christ,
Diaphragm: Son of God,
Shoulder: Have mercy on me,
Shoulder: A sinner. Amen.

I do not do it 100 times a day but just randomly throughout the day. I know we should be doing it subconciously all day long.

demetrios karaolanis
Jr Member

yes, I do have a chotki that I use everyday during a prayer rule, but I usually throughout the day just say the prayer on my own. it helps me to direct my thoughts back toward God when I am distracted. I have been reading on the subject of the jesus prayer and would love to hear how everyone feels about it. :D

Nektarios14

Post by Nektarios14 »

"Counsels from the Holy Mountain" by Elder Ephraim is very good on this topic. What looks even better is "Monastic Wisdom" by Elder Joeseph although I have only read bits and pieces but plan to start on it within a few days.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

This is really one thread I should not post on, since I fail so miserably at the Jesus prayer, but at least in plan, my wife and I try to combine the Jesus Prayer and Silent time (one after the other) at night.. maybe helping us focus a bit more while we do it.. but as I said, we fail miserably

demetrios karaolanis
Jr Member

It is alright, many of us have problems with it, but we can all aid each other here and teach as well as learn a few new things. a forum is always a good learning tool! :D