Totally off-topic

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Natasha
Sr Member

Totally off-topic

Post by Natasha »

Maria Sharapova beat Serena Williams! That was AMAZING :D Bravo!

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

It was great to see that wonderful gold cross around her next while she played.

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

Justin2

Post by Justin2 »

It was even more wonderful to see Greece beat Portugal in the Euro Cup!!! :mrgreen:

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

Remember people. Be cautious when you see crosses and places you don't even expect it to be. I was seeing a russian copula with a russian cross on it when i was coming home with my mom every friday, and last weekened i asked her to see which russian orthodox church it is. And BAM! It was a Melkite, Chaldean Catholic Church! (Something you don't see everything with a russian cross and copula!)

Same thing with Celebrities, the Russian Tennis player was good at her game. but we dont know if she is truly honorable to her faith. Has anyone seen Miss Universe 2 years ago? Miss Russia won but they "stripped" her from her title. (If anyone can recall, the first Oxana, (Miss Universe), did was do her cross.) Now that was an Orthodox Witness of Faith, at the wierdest places! Compare our modern world today, you cant be a Celebrity and Orthodox, its actually quite hard. Look at the Greeks! Sure they won the Soccer Euro Cup. But has anyone seen greek tv and they parties greek poeple did? The Montrealers Greeks were on television, and they started saying the "we" don't have only one God, but also 12 more!
Now tell me how Orthodox is that? Yes, I find it good witness of Orthodoxy that the players were doing their cross, but it takes more than just doing your cross...

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

The Cross is the Cross. Irregardless of the person wearing it.

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

Of Course, I agree

but you never know who could be wearing an Orthodox cross for example and not be.

Aristokles
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Post by Aristokles »

romiosini wrote:

Of Course, I agree

but you never know who could be wearing an Orthodox cross for example and not be.

An extremely good point. My poor wife must undergo a plethora of questions in the town (no Orthodox parish there) where she works. Her tri-bar cross is so mistaken for her being in the local BC parish that her reply is a constant: "No, I am ORTHODOX", to which those poor souls are usually at a loss for words in retort. Sad part is that they don't even know why they are confused.
I just tell her to wear her stavro inside her blouse and not worry about it.

Demetri