FORUM AVATARS & HOW NOT TO USE THEM (advice)

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Konstantin

FORUM AVATARS & HOW NOT TO USE THEM (advice)

Post by Konstantin »

Folks,

I really like this Orthodox Messageboard. So please understand the following statement and idea for the moderators and everyone here.

There seems to be alot of interesting posts, and topics. Thats fine.

The problem I see (though not globally), is the Use of Holy Saints, Holy Icons, and how "sometimes" when members post, it doesn't become "HOLY" anymore.

I hate to say this, but, please understand my point, MOCKERY of Our Saints and possibly Sacreligious.

Though I know most of you mean no harm, but in reality, reading through the message boards, most of us are not even priests, and there is a tendency to go off topic. Thus, reading something "not orthodox" from articles, to movies, and seeing the ICON AVATARS on the side, does not co-relate with each other.

Don't mis-understand me, I mean no harm to anyone here.

We are not Saints ourselves, nor can we stand behind or in front of them, and sort to speak for them.

Yes, it might seem interesting enough, especially when the whole world has become technically advanced, but we are in a way laughing at these Images we use.

A suggestion then:

Use your own photos as an option, for when you wish to speak for your self. Use City images, Sayings, maybe churches, but not Saints or Icons.

Perhaps in the Profile, you can have Icons and Saints you stand by.

Again, no harm to anyone, but a point for you to reconsider.

God Bless.

:wink:

TomS
Protoposter

Post by TomS »

Dude. Chill!

Do you REALLY think that when people see the avatar chosen by a specific poster that that they think the opinions contained in the post REFLECT that of the Saint?

I mean, gimme a break. Lets take this line of thought to its conclusion (which people on this board do NOT like me to do, yet I do often :lol: ) Let's no longer have ICONS in our houses since we do not LIVE and conduct ourselves like the Holy Saints portrayed on those icons. I mean, someone coming into our house may think that the way we live is the way that the SAINT lived.

The avatar that we choose SHOULD reflect the principals that we are TRYING to live by.

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

Liudmilla
Sr Member

Post by Liudmilla »

Not to be tedious but we've covered this topic before....

If you want to see what everyone said before go here....

http://euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=300

I think you will find everyone's reasons for keep the avatars as they are.

Milla

Seraphim Reeves

Post by Seraphim Reeves »

Does this mean that if someone is going to discuss something that is not particularly religious, they should remove their Baptismal Cross from their neck?