Various Prayers

Discussions of the prayer services of the Church. Prayer requests. Please pray for all who post here. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justin Kissel

Various Prayers

Post by Justin Kissel »

Feel free to add your favorite prayers, or even just prayers that you think might be useful, or somewhat obscure (they won't stay obscure if you tell others about them :) )

Prayer to Saint Alexis (Toth), asking for his intercessions in watching over a family and their home

O Saint Alexis, slavic luminary to those slavs trapped in darkness, convert to Orthodoxy who gloriously converted multitudes. We beseech thee: protect this, our dwelling place, from all dangers, both those seen and unseen.

As you once illuminated America with your presence, so also now illuminate this, our marital dwelling place. Surely there is great safety in the bright rays which emanate from the thrice-brilliant Lord, and which, as in a miror, reflects off your saintly soul. Therefore, we beg thee, please light for us a path to salvation, and shine a help-light for our protection.

We beseech thee, Saint Alexis, pray for this dwelling, and all who might find themselves under its roof; and guide us into that light that can never fade. Amen.

Methodius

Post by Methodius »

Has ROCOR glorified Alexis Toth?

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Not that I'm aware of, but 1) this isn't a ROCOR-only forum, and 2) Waiting until someone is officially "glorified" to pray to them is totally opposite the way things are done in the Church. Many times, a saint was eventually glorified exactly because people were venerating them and praying to them as a saint before the hierarchy took notice, or admitted that they were a saint. Many saints of God (just start with the 'fools for Christ') were either misunderstood by their hierarchs, or simply were unknown by them, and it was only after the laity and clergy began veneration that "word spread".

With that in mind, I posted the prayer to be used as a sort of private prayer, not as a prayer of a universally recognized saint (such as John of Kronstadt; except for Archbishop [sic] Lazar, who doesn't recognize him as a saint). Nevertheless, I will take the prayer off if it offends anyone, or even makes anyone uncomfortable! :)

Gideon

Post by Gideon »

Paradosis wrote:

Not that I'm aware of, but 1) this isn't a ROCOR-only forum, and 2) Waiting until someone is officially "glorified" to pray to them is totally opposite the way things are done in the Church. Many times, a saint was eventually glorified exactly because people were venerating them and praying to them as a saint before the hierarchy took notice, or admitted that they were a saint. Many saints of God (just start with the 'fools for Christ') were either misunderstood by their hierarchs, or simply were unknown by them, and it was only after the laity and clergy began veneration that "word spread".

With that in mind, I posted the prayer to be used as a sort of private prayer, not as a prayer of a universally recognized saint (such as John of Kronstadt; except for Archbishop [sic] Lazar, who doesn't recognize him as a saint). Nevertheless, I will take the prayer off if it offends anyone, or even makes anyone uncomfortable! :)

Good point.

O blessed Virgin Mary, Our Lady of Walsingham, Mother of God and our most gentle Queen and Mother, look down in mercy upon us, our parish, our country, our homes, and our families, and upon all who greatly hope and trust in your prayers, (especially...) By you it was that Jesus, our Savior and hope, was given to the world; and he has given you to us that we may hope still more. Plead for us your children, whom you did receive and accept at the foot of the Cross, O sorrowful Mother. Intercede for our separated brethren, that with us in the one true fold they may be united to the Chief Shepherd, the Vicar of your Son. Pray for us all, dear Mother, that by faith fruitful in good works we all may be made worthy to see and praise God, together with you in our heavenly home. Amen

Our Lady of Walsingham, Pray to God for us.

Being one supremely devoted to the Mother of God / thou didst take up thine abode on a mountainside near Platina / and there thou didst crucify thy flesh, with its lusts and passions, through ascetic struggle / wherefore thou art become the first born American saint, / an inspiration and guiding star to American Orthodoxy. / Wherefore we cry unto thee, / save us by thy prayers, / O Seraphim (Rose) our Holy Father.

Methodius

Post by Methodius »

I keep causing conflict when I am truly just curious. Please forgive me for causing conflict.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

No! No conflict. The only conflict is apparently the one that is happening within me, since I seem to keep having defensive reactions to innocent questions of late. I will try to make sure it doesn't happen again!

Gideon,

Thank you for the prayer! :)

Logos

Post by Logos »

This is a great thread. I am looking for some general prayers of thanksgiving. I have found a few for specific instances but not for anything general. Does anyone know a good site where there are many Orthodox prayers because the Jordanville prayer book online?