Prior Military Service & Priesthood

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
PFC Nektarios

Prior Military Service & Priesthood

Post by PFC Nektarios »

As you all know I am going to be going to boot camp in the United States Marine Corps, We talked about this subject on another post, but
I would like to go more indepth with it.

I have been told that if I have taken a life due to self-defense or any other cercumstances other then murdered, you cant become a priest. Is this true for every jurisdiction? Especially for Mount Athos. Because after my four years active duty in the Marine Corps, I was thinking about the Monastic life and the priesthood, is this not an option in my life after my time in the Marine Corps. I will be going to Iraq and I have no doubt that if I do make it back, that I will have defensivly killed some one during to war. Are my thoughts of become a Hieromonk on Mout Athos over?

In Christ
Nektarios

P.S. I would especially like to hear from some priest on the board.

Vicki
Jr Member

Post by Vicki »

Dear Nektarios,

I would refer you to several threads on Typkion which deal with this, but also to the reports on the fire at Hillander...the report speaks of monks from other monasteries who were former commandos. It does not say if they were hieromonks.

Again, each jurisdiction is going to have its own rules concerning this. My suggestion is that if you have looked into a particular monastery, such as Esphigmenou, that you contact the Abbot, and state specifically your concerns.

In all honesty, and with, as you know, all respect for anyone who is willing to risk his life for our country, you may hear from Mt. Athos that this is NOT acceptable, in pursuit of the priesthood (you may hear that it is, too). If that is the case, then you may want to consider a non-combat postition with the Marines, in order both to serve your country, and not kill. I do not know the answer to this question, and cannot advise, other than to say, America is not the Holy Mountain, and you should ask the Abbot of the monastery you may feel called to repent in.

In the meantime, may God bless you and protect you for being willing to serve your country in this manner.

Vicki

ania

Post by ania »

I know of several cases of people who, after military service in WW1, WW2, & the Russian Revolution, went on to be monks, priests, heirodeacons, and heiromonks. From what I can tell, if you were in a war, it does not count against you, since you have taken an oath to God, king, country, whatever to defend it.
When you become a monastic, it is like your 2nd baptism. This is why many czars, on their deathbeds became monastics, as it was pretty much a sure way to clense all previous sins, whatever they may be.
We can also bring up the well known case of Kudiar Pitirim, of whom the Russian folk song "12 bandits" tells. He was the bandit leader, this band was very very vicious, they were involved in looting, pilaging, rape & murder. As the song goes "Vdrug u razboynika lutago, sovist Gospod probudil," (Suddenly, God awoke the conscience of the horrible bandit). He went on to become a monk at Solovki.
However, I do know one case a good 30+ years ago, of a heirodeacon who, while defending his bishop from a carjacking, unintentionally killed (i can't remember if it was 1 or both armed carjackers). He was not repremanded, but was suspended from serving (The US courts also ruled it self-defence).
Also, FWI, many saints were in military service before taking on the monastic life.

bogoliubtsy
Sr Member

Post by bogoliubtsy »

ania wrote:

Also, FWI, many saints were in military service before taking on the monastic life.

And it seems that many saints were sainted becauseof their military life- at leat in Russia. :)

Anastasios
Sr Member
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Kallinikos

Post by Anastasios »

I think you need to ask your hierarch about this. If you get his blessing to enter the military, then I don't see how he could eventually hold this against you.

All Greeks in Greece must serve in the military so there wouldn't be any hieromonks on Athos if serving counted against you. Do they ask if you killed anyone? I don't know.

Remember Basil Canon 13 states that killing in war is not murder.

Archbishop Peter of the OCA says that military service (including killing) is not an impedement to ordination (he told our canon law class this).

Again, please talk to your hierarch and not just us internet folk.

anastasios

Disclaimer: Many older posts were made before my baptism and thus may not reflect an Orthodox point of view.
Please do not message me with questions about the forum or moderation requests. Jonathan Gress (jgress) will be able to assist you.
Please note that I do not subscribe to "Old Calendar Ecumenism" and believe that only the Synod of Archbishop Kallinikos is the canonical GOC of Greece. I do believe, however, that we can break down barriers and misunderstandings through prayer and discussion on forums such as this one.

Makis
Jr Member

Post by Makis »

Dear Anastasios,

All Greeks in Greece must serve in the military .....

True, but not completely.
You can be excused when you study theology and want to become a priest.

In Christ,

Makis

Gregory2

Post by Gregory2 »

FWIW, there are also a handful of Orthodox military chaplains in America, there may be an Orthodox Navy Chaplain at San Diego, I don't know. You might want to track down their e-mail addresses and send off an e-mail or two, since I'm sure they are aware of what you need to know. God bless!