Orthodox New Testament

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.
THELOVEOFGOD

Post by THELOVEOFGOD »

I bought the pocket sized edition of the Orthodox New Testament, but it doesn't have the commentary.

I am thinking of buying the versions that have the commentary, but i'd like to know if the commentary is a new translation as is the New Testament text?

For i have the writings of the Church fathers but i think they are Protestant translations, and i don't know of any Orthodox English translations of the early Church fathers.

Just as i see the value of an Orthodox translation of the New Testament, i think so the writings of the Church fathers, if these are used for commentary.

Does anyone know, if that used in the commentary is a new translation and if not do you know who's is used?

And would it be a waste of my time to buy the Orthodox New Testament with the commentary, if it's the same as i already have, and with me already owning the Orthodox translation of the New Testament?

THELOVEOFGOD

Post by THELOVEOFGOD »

Orthodox6 wrote:
THELOVEOFGOD wrote:

For i have the writings of the Church fathers but i think they are Protestant translations, and i don't know of any Orthodox English translations of the early Church fathers.

Many years ago, my priest at the time told people to go ahead and read the available translations of the Church Fathers, but not to read any of the notes and commentary. In other words, the texts themselves were suitable; just ditch the remarks from non-Orthodox writers.

Does that mean the Orthodox New Testament uses one of theses non Orthodox translations, and if so could you inform me of which one?

And do you know if maybe they've edited any errors that may be in them if they did use them?

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Their commentary is translated directly from the Greek, so they would be new Orthodox commentary.

THELOVEOFGOD

Post by THELOVEOFGOD »

Νικολάος Διάκ wrote:

Their commentary is translated directly from the Greek, so they would be new Orthodox commentary.

Thanks very much, that's great news.
Would it be true that the commentary may be the only Orthodox English translation of some of these writings?

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

THELOVEOFGOD wrote:
Νικολάος Διάκ wrote:

Thanks very much, that's great news.
Would it be true that the commentary may be the only Orthodox English translation of some of these writings?

Yes, I believe so.

The Apostate

Orthodox New Testament

Post by The Apostate »

Thank you, all, for your contributions here. I had never heard of the Orthodox New Testament before reading this, and was eagerly awaiting the complete Orthodox Study Bible next Pascha.

If we can be certain that an Orthodox Old Testament is definitely in the offing, then I shall certainly begin to order the New Testament volumes. Can anybody confirm this?

Also, the question has been asked about whether or not there is a direct link to the monastery's site rather than ordering through Amazon. Their online store may be visited here.

Michael

Post by Michael »

If we can remain patient, the complete Holy Orthodox Bible is still being completed by Mr. Peter Papoutsis. This edition will likely avoid such "Orthodox New Testament" quirks as rendering the Theotokos' name as Miriam in some places and Mary in others, as well as refusing to translate Iakovos as James as a matter of unsubstantiated principle (see the Tydale English New Testament of 1526 and the Rheims English New Testament of 1582, both predating the KJV by decades and neither subserviant to King James of England).