Why can't women be Priests?

Discuss the holy Mysteries and the liturgical life of the Church such as the Hours, Vespers, Matins/Orthros, Typica, and the Divine Liturgy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Great feedback, thanks. :)

CGW

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Post by CGW »

OrthodoxLearner wrote:

That wasnt funny. Why dont you show some respect for the priesthood.

Well, um, none of us are priests? Taking umbrage on someone else's behalf is not a good sign.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

First, this question needs to be put within a proper context. Ordinarily, the priesthood is not something that one should seek out. Now, some can do so piously (St. Athanasius and Met. Philaret to name two). For most of us, though, seeking the priesthood probably means that we either have improper motives or that we don't understand what we are seeking. I don't mean to judge anyone here, this is just what I've gathered from tradition. The Saints themselves fled from ordination as though they were fleeing for their lives. Because they were. Because the priesthood is such a heavy burden, and can cost many their souls. St. John Chrysostom used trickery to avoid being ordained (at first). St. Ambrose went into a whorehouse, thinking that the scandal would prevent people from consecrating him. One monk cut off his hand so that he would not be able to be ordained. And the examples go on and on.

Again, I'm not saying that it's absolutely a sin to seek the priesthood, but only pointing out that the Fathers considered it dangerous (especially if you aren't called to it). Not only is the priesthood not a "right," but for 99.99999% of people it's not even soemthing that they should want! The Church protects people from getting involved in this dangerous but so very holy vocation, if it is not for them. The Church tries to protect the souls of those who are under her--both male and female. Therefore, those who are not to be priests (under ideal circumstances) never ever become priests.

Of course, the question here then is, how do we know that God never wants a woman to be a priest? I think the point Seraphim brought up is good: the historical witness is a good one. There is always the argument that, as St. John Chrysostom put it, "it is a tradition, seek no farther." (Homily 4 on 2nd Thessalonians) Some of us struggle with doubts though, so more evidence is helpful. The fact that the Church didn't allow female priests is significant. Almost everyone else did. The Pagans did. The gnostics did. So why didn't the Church? There are theological reasons, and the reasons are not (as some argue) ones having to do with "male domination" (that's another subject).

"Archbishop" Lazar Puhalo, in his essay Gender as Prophecy and Revelation, says: "The role of priest in the Church belongs only to Christ. he is the priesthood of the Church. He is also the spouse and husband of the Church. Christ's visible priesthood in the Church is fulfilled through the ordained priests, more precisely, though the bishops of the Church." (Emphasis his) He then says that "the prophetic role of men is in revelation about Christ, and the prophetic role of women is in revelation about the Church." And he concludes: "while the women fulfil a ministry in the Church (first of all, the prophetic ministry) they do not enter the priesthood, which is a revelation about Christ, not about the Church. A woman in the priesthood would have to be presenting a revelation about the husband of the Church, the spouse of the 'spotless, pure bride of Christ.'" (Lazar Puhalo, The Mystery of Gender and Human Sexuality, [Synaxis Press, 1996], p. 27)

In an essay titled "Male and Female He Created Them:" An Examination of The Mystery of Humand Gender, also in the same book as quoted above, Dr. Kharalambos Anstall also makes some pertinent comments: "There is only one priesthood, the priesthood of Jesus Christ. Christ is 'priest unto the ages, according to the order of Melchisedek.' Priesthood does not 'belong' to the one who receives ordination. It is Christ Who is present and acts, it is His sacrifice that is offered. The ordained priest is just 'a type in the place of Christ.' He is an icon of the one and only Priest. He has to be a man, not a woman, because Christ is a man."

Dr. Antall continues: "Let us examine the significance behind this fact. In the same way that marriage is a type of salvation, the mystery of the relationship between God and the creation is reciprocally revealed as a marital relationship. The Church, representing all Creation, is revealed as a bride, as a woman dressed the sun, with her feet onthe moon. Our representative in the mystery of the incarnation, our most honorable offering and participation is again a woman, a bride, the Theotokos. The bridegroom of the Church is Christ. The fruit of this unity is salvation and life everlasting."

Therefore, Dr. Antall concludes: "It is impossible to change the tradition of the Church to ordain only men to the priesthood, without damaging this icon of Christ as bridegroom, and the icon of salvation as a marital relationship between Christ and the Church. Since this icon is language for revelation deeply rooted in the tradition of the Church, it has profound dogmatic significance. On the other hand, the observance of the type of Christ by the priest in everything, and in gender, is obviously related with the deep theology of the Holy Trinity. Christ is an icon of His Father. With His appearance as a man, he wanted among other things, to reveal the ineffalbe Origin of Divinity, the Source of the Personal God, according to the human image of a 'Father'. Divine names are given by God as a revelation of His properties and distinctions, and as such they should be revered and respected." (Dr. Kharalambos Antall, The Mystery of Gender and Human Sexuality, [Synaxis Press, 1996], p. 59-60)

I'm sure that there are books out there on this subject, with even more information. Unfortunately the only one I can mention is the only one I've read, Women and the Priesthood (edited Thomas Hopko). In this book, Bp. Kallistos, Thomas Hopko, and others say a few rather astounding and difficult things, but for the most part the book is informative.

Chris

Post by Chris »

St. Paul forbids women to be priests i.e. prebyters and bishops(1 Corinthians 1:34-35 and 1 Timothy 2:12). They can be deacons, though, such as St. Phoebe and St. Olympias. The priest offers the Eucharist during the holy Liturgy. Thus he is an image of Jesus Christ, the great highpriest who offered himself as the ultimate Sacrifice for our Salvation(Hebrews 8:1-3). Jesus Christ, according to His human nature, was a man. This is why priests must also be men.

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Rafael,

That is very good description as a blessed image it is indeed.

From what I have read, woman have never been deacons in the sense that men have. They were there to help other woman dress, ect. I don't know much about it, perhaps someone more knowledgable can jump in...

Etienne

Post by Etienne »

:( This thread could be divided into two, and the first part troubles me greatly. Is levity and nastiness a helpful approach to a serious question? The second part I found interesting and helpful in relation to the original question asked.

Outside Orthodoxy this question raises considerable controvesy. Some may look to us for some way of addressing the question it raises and what will they find? To borrow from The Shepherd (www.saintedwardbrotherhood.org/) we are not fractious schoolboys nor a cult founded by one who said, "By this shall all men know that ye are My disciples, if ye keep the fasts, if ye make the required number of bows and say long prayers, and lay into those with whom you disagree," but rather by the One Who said, "By this shall all men know that ye are My disciples, if ye have love one to another", (John 13,35}

In the same magazine the much loved prayer of Saint Philaret of Moscow (+1867 AD) appears, one that I try to take to heart albeit not always successfully:

O Lord, grant me to greet the coming day in peace. Help me in all things to rely upon Thy Holy Will. In every hour of the day, reveal Thy Will to me. Bless my dealings with all who surround me. Teach me treat all that come to me throughout the day with peace of soul, and with the firm conviction that Thy Will governeth all. In all my deeds and words guide my thoughts and feelings. In unforeseen events let me not forget that all are sent by Thee. Teach me to act firmly and wisely, without embittering or embarrassing others. Give me strength to bear the fatigue of the day with all that it shall bring. Direct my will; teach me pray; pray Thou Thyself in me.

Myrrhbearer

What about women readimg in church?

Post by Myrrhbearer »

Firstly Etienne,

The prayer you mentioned at the end by Met. Phileret, I always heard called the prayer of the Optina Elders...interesting. I love this prayer.

My real question stems or jumps off of the women's roles in church, and relies on the scripture quoted in above posts regarding why a woman couldn't be a priest.

I understand Choirs, and all, but if the Lord directs us, through St. Paul, that women shouldn't teach men or read in church...shouldn't this follow through today?

Would this hold that women should not do the Espistle readings or any Gospel readings that occur during festal services....what about 6 psalms or even specific readings of the psalms in hours and vespers/matins, etc.?

I do understand sometimes there might not be a man present, but if there is a man who is literate present, wouldn't it be best for him to read then to default to a willing woman?

I had a man say to me that it was against the canons of the church to have a woman read...is this true?

I am not opposed to not reading. I think there is something to all teh examples of obedience that the Lord requires of us for our own behoovement that often get overlooked because of the trends in our present culture.

Thanks for any coments
joanna