Questions to Mor Ephrem about Monophysites and Monophysitism

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

PFC Nektarios

Post by PFC Nektarios »

Still a heresy. If this is the case then why doesnt the Monophysite Churches use the title Theotokos and just accept the 4, 5, 6, 7, Ecumenical Councils? If the claim to be Orthodox?

In Christ
Nektarios

Mor Ephrem

Post by Mor Ephrem »

OrthodoxLearner wrote:

Still a heresy. If this is the case then why doesnt the Monophysite Churches use the title Theotokos and just accept the 4, 5, 6, 7, Ecumenical Councils? If the claim to be Orthodox?

You really haven't taken any opportunity to get educated about this, have you? Go to any Coptic church; they call Mary "Theotokos". Go to any Indian church; they call her "Mother of God". I could go on. The doctrine about Mary being the God-bearer was not first dealt with at Chalcedon, but at Ephesus, which we recognise. You are right, however, that we do not recognise any councils after Ephesus.

PFC Nektarios

Post by PFC Nektarios »

I wonder during your liturgy do you call mary the Theotokos?

In Christ
Nektarios

Anastasios
Sr Member
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Kallinikos

Post by Anastasios »

OrthodoxLearner wrote:

I wonder during your liturgy do you call mary the Theotokos?

In Christ
Nektarios

Dude he just said they pray that hymn at their liturgy.

anastasios

Disclaimer: Many older posts were made before my baptism and thus may not reflect an Orthodox point of view.
Please do not message me with questions about the forum or moderation requests. Jonathan Gress (jgress) will be able to assist you.
Please note that I do not subscribe to "Old Calendar Ecumenism" and believe that only the Synod of Archbishop Kallinikos is the canonical GOC of Greece. I do believe, however, that we can break down barriers and misunderstandings through prayer and discussion on forums such as this one.

PFC Nektarios

Post by PFC Nektarios »

This post was way to long to read, Ive been away for a few days.
Dide I ever get an answer to my question. Do Monophysites use the title Theotokos in the Liturgy and otherwise?

In Christ
Nektarios

CGW

Monotrackite

Post by CGW »

OrthodoxLearner wrote:

Do Monophysites use the title Theotokos in the Liturgy and otherwise?

Well, Episcopalians are (officially) Chalcedonians, and we don't use the title (or more precisely a translation thereof) in liturgy. Well, there's one hymn in which the title appears, but it isn't a required part of the liturgy so it doesn't exactly count. I don't think this is a good test.

PFC Nektarios

Post by PFC Nektarios »

DO THE MONOPHYSTIES CALL MARY THE THEOTOKOS??!!!?? I THINK IF I TYPE IN ALL CAPS I MIGHT ACTUALLY GET AN ANSWER! DO THEY?

IN CHRIST
NEKTARIOS