Which Book Should I Do The Patristics Resources For Next?

Reading from the Old Testament, Holy Gospels, Acts, Epistles and Revelation, our priests' and bishops' sermons, and commentary by the Church Fathers. All Forum Rules apply.

Which Book Should Be Next?

Judith

7%

1 Maccabees

13%

2 Maccabees

7%

3 Maccabees

13%

Wisdom of Solomon

13%

Sirach

13%

Jude, 1 and 2 Peter

13%

1, 2 and 3 John

20%

Total votes: 15

Justin Kissel

Which Book Should I Do The Patristics Resources For Next?

Post by Justin Kissel »

For those who don't know, I've been doing some "patristic commentaries" for the Scriptures on my website, which:

• give relevant Scriptural references
  • give all the direct quotes of a passage from the Church Fathers that I can find
  • give other relevant patristic references (ie. patristic references that don't quote the Scriptural passage being dealt with, but still deal with the theme seen in the passage)

So far I've only gotten commentaries on The Book of Tobit and The Epistle of James done, but I'm trying to add more a little bit at a time.

Hence the reason for this thread. I'm trying to decide which Scriptural book to do next. I thought I'd post a poll here and see if there was any major interest in what the Fathers have to say about one particular book. If there is, I'll do the one that people are interested in. :) I'd prefer staying with a (so-called) Apocryphal book if I could, since these are the books that are most neglected, but I'd also be willing to do the next commentary on one of the (remaining) Catholic epistles.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Okay, three votes, that's a good start! But no comments? :)

Justin

PS. Just a clarification, I shouldn't have said the Tobit commentary was done, I still have to do the patristic references that deal with the same theme and put them up. I'll do that over the coming months though, it's always a long process (since I actually read through the quotes and don't just skim, cut, and paste, lol :) ).

Methodius

Comment by Request.

Post by Methodius »

Id say go Genesis forward or Apocalypse backward, but since that choice isnt there, Ill say 1 Maccabees followed by 2 Maccabees and 3 Maccabees.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

I voted 3 Maccabees, but Methodius has a point. If you do Maccabees, you should start with 1 I guess.

Last edited by 尼古拉前执事 on Sat 8 March 2003 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Well, but the books of the Maccabees don't have to be read in order. 1 Maccabees, for instance, talks about all the wars and such of Judas, Jonathon, etc. And then 2 Maccabees goes over some of the same years, but from a different (more religious) perspective.

My main goal when I started this stuff was to work on books that were somewhat neglected. Obviously the (so-called) Apocryphal books are the most neglected, even among Orthodox. (I bet if you asked 10 people at your Church this sunday to name the so-called apocryphal books from the OT, half wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about, and you'd be lucky to get one who actually could do it from memory). I'm not trying to judge here, just pointing out that we've neglected the books.

Likewise, in the NT, the Gospels and Paul usually get focused on, and Revelation has it's own genre of books devoted to it entirely. The Catholic epistles--which seem to me to be the most helpful to us in our ordinary daily lives--somehow get lost in the shuffle.

I do thank you for your comments, they are more helpful than you'd think :)

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

I personally think you should do both Sirach and the Catholic Epistles :)

MaryCecilia

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Are you giving me permission to spend more time on the computer? 8) :D ;) :shock:

I would like to get them all done eventually, but one book (or group of short texts) at a time, please :)