Defending our Faith

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Valentina
Jr Member

Defending our Faith

Post by Valentina »

Sometimes, my friends and I get into religious type discussions, like existence of God...stuff like that. Many of my friends have just been brought up without any Church or being taught about God so often I feel like I'll be seen as a "crazy Christian" if I try to defend my beliefs. I did once a few years ago, and it ended up in a mess to the point of me and my friend arguing (We were about 13). I'm asking if any of you ever faced these situtations...probably have, and if you did, I would like to know how you handle it. Often, since that arguments, I tend to almost side with my friends (not fully) but only doing it to not be seen as a "crazy relgious person" (although I am not even close to being anything near religious) but people are usually pegged with a name something along the lines of that if you you even say that you believe in God. If I ever come across these situations, I'd just like some advice on ho wot deal with it without judging the person or acting rudely.

THanks

sue57

Re: Defending our Faith

Post by sue57 »

Valentina,
This past Thanksgiving, my best friend since 5th. grade, brought her fiance home with her, and they both stayed in the same room, in her father's house. When I went to visit, my friend's sister answered the door, and I mentioned that I thought it was very disrespectful for this guy to sleep with my friend in the presence of her 68 year old father! My friend's sister rolled her eyes and said "Oh Susie, you are SO crazy." I never preach at people, but I don't hide what I think either. Now granted, these are people I've known since childhood, so they are like my own family. You can be open about your views without being a jerk about it. I think that it does come with age though too. People will either accept you or not. Also though, sometimes people end up fascinated with those whose views are completely different than their own.

Valentina
Jr Member

Post by Valentina »

Thanks Susie. I know what you mean, it does come with age. It's just that being in schools where Muslim prayers that have been allowed but no other puts a slight pressure on me, like a "black sheep" type of feeling. I go to a Catholic school now and yeah some pressure has been alleviated (sp?) lol from me but when I am in that position, I tend to side with them because I almost feel embaressed, as sad and wrong as it is, to even state my beliefs. For example, some of my friends don't believe that there is a hell and I don't know how to respond to that. If I do, Im made to seem like someone who believes in "Magical places that don't exist" you what I mean? And it's not their fault, a lot of their thinking (and mine too, although I am now trying to pick out what's right and wrong)has been formed by modern philosophies/teachings of our times. Im sure to hurt somebody's feelings if I even mention what I feel about same sex marriages, although I haven't had any desire to talk about this either. Some of my friends asked me if I wanted to go to the annual homosexual parade last June in Toronto and I didn't want to and they asked "Why? It's not a big deal" and get offended that I don't want to associate myself in something that celebrates something like that. But also, what's the point of me going there anyway? I'm not homosexual, neither was she but she did go wtih homosexual friends. There seems to be such a sensitive place on this issue, everyone being so afraid to hurt someone's feelings and that you are denying somebodys human rights if you say something about it. Then if you do say something, you are asked something if you agree with racism because it is the same thing. :shock: I don't know how to exaplin myself. Even if I did have something to back it up with, some Church scriptures to try and defend myself (in a positive way mind you, not slandering) then it would just be laughed at because no one really cares about anything religious anymore.

Gee, I don't know, I think I'm getting my point across...maybe not lol, but tehre's a whole bunch of other issues that I feel that if anyone says anything against them, your attacked...hmm....same with abortion too just thinking about it. It's all about "human rights". Yeah.

sue57

Re: Defending our faith

Post by sue57 »

Hi Valentina,
You put it very well. The whole homosexual marriage issue is so fraught with things like "but I don't hate homosexual people, I just think marriage is a holy institution" it is so difficult. For one thing, the media gived the most positive portrayals of homosexuals, and never shows anything negative. Newspapers and tv are really infatuated with the whole "homosexual lifestyle." I could go on and on. But that's the world when God if forgotten, or ignored. You know, nearly everyone has someone homosexual in their family, me included, and while I'm on good terms with this person, I think his life has been very, very sad. It's a long and complicated situation, but this notion that "marriage" will solve everything is so naive.

On another note, I have a lot of friends who have lived with their bf/gfs without being married, and while I think it's wrong, I guess you also need to look at the person as a whole. We're all sinners, and it's so easy to ignore that one is say, angry and bitter and unforgiving (me), but then I can say "yeah, but I don't live in sin!" I suppose if you can ignore self-righteosness and judging others, you are much closer to living a Christian manner.
Really though, as you and your friends get older, people will respect you for your beliefs. On a quick note: When I was 21 and had my first job, I was totally into punk rock, and an older guy I worked with gave me a Bible tract and started preaching at me. When I look back on those years, I met people who were really kind and compassionate, very good people. I still think of them fondly. This guy however I just regard as obnoxious. I guess what I mean is that we're called to act with kindness towards others, and if we do that, we really make a lasting impression on them.
BTW, my friend's sister calls me "susie" 'cause she's known me since I was ten, but fortunatley, after years of trying I've finally dropped that name!! :lol:
Forgive me for rambling on so, I probably have made no sense at all!

Valentina
Jr Member

Post by Valentina »

Your right, we shouldn't judge others no matter what. There's 3 people at my school who are homosexual and I'm friends with them. They are nice people and always know how to make others laugh when they are feeling sad about something. You're also right about everyone being sinners. It's really hard sometimes to not judge someone and sometimes we do it without even realizing it. But yeah, trying to say that you don't hate homosexual people but just don't agree with the whole homosexual marriage issue is very difficult to explain. As I said, I haven't gotten into any of this really with people and would rather not but I was just giving examples of issues that can be really hard to defend this day and age.
Thanks for your replies so far... may I call you Sue then instead? lol :) (lol not trying to mock you, just kidding around) :P