The Icon of the Holy Mother of God of the Three Hands

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

The Icon of the Holy Mother of God of the Three Hands

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Normally I keep my book suggestions in the EUPHROSYNOS CAFE BOOK CLUB in our portal, (and next month's is a very impressive selection IMO) but this is a book you can only order by snail mail, so I wanted to let you all know about it, especially the Justins here.

The book is called HISTORY AND MIRACLES OF THE ICON OF THE MOTHER OF GOD OF THE THREE HANDS OF HILANDAR. It was written by St. Justin Popvich and translated by Joachim Wertz.

Joachim does not make any money off of this book and in fact, all the proceeds go towards that St. Sava Building and Restoration Fund.

If you'd like to order this book, it is only $7.00 plus postage or $5.00 plus postage if you order 20 or more for your church bookstore or library.

Send the requests to:

The Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of St. Sava
ST. SAVA BUILDING AND RESTORATION FUND
20 West 26th Street
new York, NY 10010

You also can call them at 212.242.9240 or fax them at 212.242.4864

Last edited by 尼古拉前执事 on Sun 17 August 2003 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Kissel

Yay!

Post by Justin Kissel »

Thank you, Nicholas! I will most certainly have to call and ask about this (e.g., what the shipping costs will be, etc.). It's so hard to find material by Justin Popovich in English, and when you do find it, it is priced way beyond an average person's budget (e.g., I saw an English translation of Saint Justin's multi-volume set on the lives of the saints at an online used-book seller, but it was over $1000). Thank you for bringing it to my attention. :) This made my day.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Nicholas,

I've added a link to this thread on my Justin Popovich page for those who want to buy the book. Obviously an actual page specifically for the translation (and other translations) would be better though, does Joachim have one?

Justin

PS. Yes, I know the font is too small, I'm going to fix that eventually, lol :)

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

bump

David1

Post by David1 »

Paradosis,

With your deep affection for St. Justin and your scholarly nature, have you ever thought about pursuing serbian so you can translate some of these works yourself. It would be a great gift to the Church in english-speaking lands and it would bring you closer to your beloved patron.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Actually I meant to learn Russian a few months ago, but that got derailed by my move to Pittsburgh and other concerns, and so I never got past the zdrasdvutye (hello) and minya zavut Justin, a kak vas zavut? (My name is Justin, and/but what is your name?) type of stuff. I figured since I was in the Russian Church I should start with Russian first (since it'd be easiest to find someone to "practice" with). I was gonna try to learn Serbian after that... if not to translate, at least to be able to read. Best laid plans of mice and men... :)

Dobry dyen! (I think, hehe)

Mor Ephrem

Post by Mor Ephrem »

I am not sure, but I think I have a print of this icon, or a variation of it. It is an icon of the Mother of God, with the Lord on her right arm. Since it is a print of an icon with one of those gold, jewelled covers (forgot what this is called), you only see the faces, and the rest is gold and jewels. But in one corner, there is a silver hand. Is this the same icon?