How to Greet a Monk or Nun

News about traditional Orthodox monastics and how these monks and nuns are living out their vocations in monasteries and convents. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Welcome to the forum, Justin :) If you don't mind me asking, where are you from? (I'm from Pennsylvania)

In Him,

Another Justin

Justin2

Post by Justin2 »

I live in Tacoma, WA. It's about forty minutes south of Seattle.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Welcome Aboard Justin!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Yes, welcome Justin. My dad used to live in Tacoma.

So do you attend St. Nicholas Cathedral in Seattle or the Monastery of the All-Merciful Saviour on vashon Island?

Fr. Serafim of Protection of the Theotokos Orthodox Church (Jerusalem Patrarchate) sometimes posts here too, have you had chance to attend either of the JP churches in Washington?

Re: your initial post, I have no clue about that possibly being a Greek custom, sorry. Please do tell us about your trip to the Holy Mountain. How blessed you were to be able to go there.

And again, welcome to the Café!

Last edited by 尼古拉前执事 on Sun 6 March 2005 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Justin2

Actually...

Post by Justin2 »

I'm in the OCA. I go to Holy Resurrection in Tacoma. I've met Fr. Paul (from All Merciful Savior, Vashon Island), and I've gone to Saint Nicholas a few times, when I've been blessed with the opportunity.

Justin2

Whoops...

Post by Justin2 »

I missed a few parts of the reply there, heheh :oops:

Code: Select all

I have not been to the Jerusalem churches!  I didn't know that there were any in Seattle!  The Holy Mountain was a wonderful blessing from God, and I look forward to going back again (perhaps with a son or two).  I was able to stay at Philotheou, Xiropotamou, and Panteleimonos, and I also stopped in, briefly, at Iveron.  I suppose it is due to the fact that the OCA is closer to the Russian Church than to the others (at least in most aspects...I don't want to set off a tremor...), but when I was there, I definitely felt most at home in Panteleimonos.  God was gracious enough to provide me with a monk there who spoke good English (Father Sergei).  We had some interesting discussions.  The relics were dumbfounding (along with the beauty of the place, both natural and made by human hands).  I hope to go back soon!
Brother Nicholas

Post by Brother Nicholas »

During my three years as a novice, I found that almost without exception, Greek laymen visiting the monastery would approach absolutely anyone in black for a blessing. The first time it happened to me, I must admit to a great deal of embarrassment and confusion. However, it was only that first time. Once my confessor explained it to me, I accepted it as a matter of course, and when approached in the future, I simply gave a blessing of the sort described for an abbess and that was that. One of the things that I came to terms with in the monastery is that God is All-Merciful, Forgiving, and Understanding, and that while one should make an effort to do the right thing, it is not necessary to have a heart attack when something unexpected happens. The customs of Orthodoxy are colourful and varied, and for me, that is one of the great charms of it all.

Mary Kissel

Post by Mary Kissel »

Just thought it'd be a good idea to bump this thread to the first page since we've got some new members... I think this has very helpful information on how to greet a monastic!

MaryCecilia