Up From Below: On non-Orthodox Music

The practice of living the life in Christ: fasting, vigil lamps, head-coverings, family life, icon corners, and other forms of Orthopraxy. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Justin Kissel

Up From Below: On non-Orthodox Music

Post by Justin Kissel »

For those who remember the thread from a month or two ago about secular music and how to know which music was ok to listen to, this is sort of an update to what I had posted then. I put together a text (in rough draft form right now) that goes into a bit more detail as to what was discussed as criteria in that earlier thread. The rough draft is now on a page on my site, which can be viewed here. If anyone has any comments, or even a critique, I'd love to hear from you.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Great Article Justin!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Good points made througout. I kept looking for point #7, because even if something will not make us stumble, we could unknowingly make our brother stumble. One would not want to have the pains of such a thing upon one's soul.

Code: Select all

I have found it impossible to listen to secular music on the radio as I have listened to what these songs are about. Almost all music played on the radio is filth and the message it is sending to our youth is just as bad as many TV programs on broadcast TV. 

This is what makes classical music stations far superior for listening IMO.
Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

At the risk of possibly over-generalizing, I tend to agree with you on that, Nik. Now... if only I could get my hand to respect that which my mind affirms when I'm in the car. Sigh. Pray for me!

Justin2

Music is Hard to Quit

Post by Justin2 »

I'm just getting to the point where I'm considering the liquidation of my CD collection. I used to listen to a lot of punk rock and hardcore music, and after reading Youth of The Apocalypse (a book that could very well save a whole generation, if distributed more widely) I changed my mind about it almost immediately. Especially where the violence of the style is concerned. I hope, with God's help (and your prayers) that I'll eventually get to the point of listening only to Orthodox hymns, and perhaps instrumental music. But the constant influx of vocal secular music is extremely tempting.

Alyosha

Youth of the Apocalypse

Post by Alyosha »

Justin,

I also started hearing the music on the radio differently after reading that book. It seemed like lyrics that I wouldn't think of twice or pay attention to before became clearer with the unhealthy and filthy messages. I guess you could say that before I read that book I practiced a sort of "mindless" listening and now I'm much more aware? Anyway, I was just glad to hear that someone else had a similar experience.

In Christ,
Olga

Justin2

Post by Justin2 »

Olga,

Code: Select all

I know what you mean!  I was very involved in that kind of a scene, and, thank God, I was on my way out, to some extent by the time I read the book.  The book really solidified my reasons for leaving such a scene, especially the parts about nihilism and chaos, etc.  I avoid entire radio stations now!
尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Great Book!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

I agree that every young Orthodox should read this book, and I am so glad that one of the youth books of the month from our portal page is doing so good.