The Great East-West Schism

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

The Great East-West Schism

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Tomorrow I am a guest lecturer in the High School Religion Class at Church. The topic is on the Great Schism. I am planning on using the following text that I got from the St. John the Baptist Cathedral in D.C. site, but was wondering if anyone thinks I should focus on any other points of the schism.

The breakaway of the Roman Church from the Church Universal occurred in the following manner.

In the year 752, Pope Zacharias anointed Pepin the Short, the chief steward of the Frankish kings, to be king, and by this gave, as it were, the Church's blessing to the overthrow carried out by Pepin in the Frankish kingdom that removed the lawful Frankish king from power. For this, Pepin, in the year 755, took away from the Germanic tribe of the Lombards the lands conquered by them in Italy and delivered into the pope's hands the keys to twenty

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Sorry I didn't get to read this until this morning! :oops:

How did the talk go, though?

尼古拉前执事
Archon

It actually didn't go...

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

No problem. It actually has been delayed until 2 weeks from now. Today was the general parish meeting when class would normally be head, and next week the teacher is going to be in Washington D.C. and the Bishop might be at our sister parish for the occasion of their parish feast day (meaning many would go there that Sunday instead of our church) and thus the delay.

If you have any thoughts on the topic, feel free to share them between now and then. :)

cparks

Post by cparks »

Do you plan on saying anything about Charlemagne?

尼古拉前执事
Archon

Charlemagne, son of Pepin the Short

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Chrysostomos, I probably should as he was the son of Pepin the Short, but I really don't have lots of information on him. What points would you suggest I hit upon?

Denis

Post by Denis »

Very interesting topic and most informative. Any members here ever read "The Decline and Fall of the Church of Rome" by Malachi Martin? It's a very revealing and interesting book. BTW, anyone knows anything about M. Martin? I know he used to be a scholar of the Society of Jesus and thaught in Rome. However, I suspect a book such as the one mentioned must have ruffled a few feathers to say the least.
Regarding Charlemagne, very briefly, he was an attempt by the Popes, for what I know, at creating an empire which could compete with Constantinople. The famous Filii question is also due to a translation of one of his clerics.
Would anyone here know something about the origine of the differences between the Eastern and Western Liturgies?

cparks

Re: Charlemagne, son of Pepin the Short

Post by cparks »

Nicholas wrote:

Chrysostomos, I probably should as he was the son of Pepin the Short, but I really don't have lots of information on him. What points would you suggest I hit upon?

Well, I'd hit on the points made by Fr Romanides, for starters. A lot of his stuff is at romanity.org. In addition, I haven't yet found any other factors that explain the practical split that preceded the formal split so well as Charlemagne. Distancing the western Church from the eastern Church (ie, finding a way to determine them heretics) fits pefectly with his pretensions to being Holy Roman Emperor. How can he be that when there's still a Roman Emperor in Constantinople? So, at the least, that emperor is not legitimate if the Church which coronated him is not legitimate or hasn't been legitimate for some time.

Actually, I've been trying to find an explanation that's not so simplistic. At the time of the 6th Council, Pope Agatho writes a letter to the Emperor that's, of course, thoroughly Orthodox. He quotes Greek Fathers with ease and gives no real indication at any Latin/Greek cultural divide. However, a mere 100 years later, Charlemagne's council at Frankfurt condemns the 7th Council as idolatrous. This has been blamed on a bad translation from Latin to Greek, which certainly may be part of the equation. However, Charlemagne had a vested interest in getting his court theologians to find something to condemn the east with, so even if the translation was good, I don't have a problem believing that Frankfurt would still have found a way to come to the same conclusion.

In addition, his action of condemning the east for deleting the filioque from the Creed is rather amazing.

What I'm saying is that I see him as a catalyst for the eventual destruction of unity between west and east. He gets the ball rolling in a big way. Up to that point, unity could be stretched, but wasn't broken. After all, Pope St Leo's rather grand vision of the papacy was in the early 5th century, but didn't have nearly the effect of later and current disagreements about the papacy. ISTM that Charlemagne is the force that sets all these things in motion. Why, exactly, the popes let him get away with it is still beyond me at this point.

What can also be laid at his feet, it seems, is the problem of lay investiture that plagues the west in the succeeding centuries and the general Church/State problem which eventually leads to the American form of government.

Well, those are just some general thoughts.