Heiromonk James on the Complicated Orthodox

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Heiromonk James on the Complicated Orthodox

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

The Complicated Orthodox

Lawrence Uzzell

Lounger

Post by Lounger »

Here is the article the letter addresses:

Russians and Catholics
Lawrence Uzzell
First Things 126 (October 2002): 21-23.

To feel the full historical weight of Russian attitudes toward the Roman Catholic Church one should see the 1938 film Aleksandr Nevski

Lounger

On the MP; sad if true.

Post by Lounger »

Many good points, but I am glad to see only Orthodox Church in Russia. Religious freedom is a western thing, we need not associate it with everyone!

Denis

Re: On the MP; sad if true.

Post by Denis »

Lounger wrote:

Many good points, but I am glad to see only Orthodox Church in Russia. Religious freedom is a western thing, we need not associate it with everyone!

I must say I agree: Orthodoxy in Russia should be kept russian. Onthe other hand, it should be the opposite in the West.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Huh?

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

What do you mean that it should be the opposite in the west?

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

Perhaps he means that Orthodoxy in the west should be kept western? :)

On a note similar to that, my wife and I just found a ROCOR parish not too long ago that is only about an hour and a half away, which is way closer than the next nearest parish (2 1/2 hours away in good weather). This parish is made up of former Carpatho-Russians, and still has a Carpatho-Russian culture, service, etc. (while being ROCOR, using old calendar, etc.) This seems like a wonderful opportunity to see how a non-Russian ROCOR parish does, and I'm really looking forward to participating there once spring comes (and my car gets work done on it). It might not be "western," but I think the Carpatho-Russian Orthodoxy as practiced in America is a lot more accessible to "westerners" than Russian Orthodoxy is. (which, of course, is not a knock against the Russians).

Denis

Re: Huh?

Post by Denis »

Nicholas wrote:

What do you mean that it should be the opposite in the west?

It was very early in the morning and very badly phrased.
I mean it should keep all of the traditions of the original Church but adopt the language of the countries in which the Church is present. I think this would make it much easier for new converts as well as spreading the true faith without an ethnic screen. I do understand that it would be a difficult position for most Russian, Greek, and SErbian in North-America.