ROAC or ROCOR?

Information, news stories, and questions about True Traditionalist Orthodox Churches. This is the place to post encyclicals and any official public communications from True Orthodox jurisdictions.

Moderator: Mark Templet

Ben Jamin

ROAC or ROCOR?

Post by Ben Jamin »

Hey everyone...

As some of you already know, I am a Roman Catholic on my way to Orthodoxy. I have contacted many Orthodox priests in my area, but I had a question that maybe some of you would comment on. I will of course discuss this with a Priest of the ROAC and the ROCOR, but I was wondering if you all had any opinions...

What is the difference between ROAC and ROCOR?
As a Catholic looking for true Orthodoxy where do I go? ROAC? ROCOR?

Thank you!

Please pray for me a sinner!

Nevski
Jr Member

What a sad commentary. . .

Post by Nevski »

on the state of "true" Orthodoxy today.

Why are those two your only options, Ben? There are, after all, about a dozen more.

Is this one the "true" Church or is that one the "true" Church? Decisions, decisions.

Ben Jamin

Post by Ben Jamin »

ROCOR and ROAC are the only two I mentioned because besides those two the only other options in my area are GOA and OCA.

Nevski
Jr Member

My advice

Post by Nevski »

Stay away from ROCA. Consider the other three, the GOA last.

Alas, contemporary Orthodoxy exists on a spectrum. As with so many issues (though not with EVERY issue), the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I would direct you to either the OCA or ROCOR, but preferably the OCA. And even though the I recommend the GOA "last", even there the true Chuch exists. I spend some time at the GOA monastery here in Denver, and it is quite more "traditional" than the secular GOA parish. And even in secular GOA parishes, there are many saints in the making.

But stay away from ROCA. It's "faithfulness to tradition" notwithstanding, many soul-destoying evils exist there.

Ben Jamin

Post by Ben Jamin »

Rather than making a blanket statment...please explain what "many soul destoying evils" exsist in ROAC? What exactly are you refering to?

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Ben,

Read the Fathers, and pray.

I personally would stay away from the OCA and the GOA, as both organic member of the World Council of Churches (read: flagrant ecumenists).

in XC,
Daniel

Ben Jamin

Post by Ben Jamin »

Thank you Daniel...

but this brings me back to my orginal question....

You suggest I should stay away from the OCA and GOA, so then where do I go, ROCOR or ROAC?

Thanks!

Last edited by Ben Jamin on Sat 15 November 2003 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.