Ecumenism, Modernism, Etc. "Black and White" Issue

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

1. The MP signed the balamand agreement saying Rome's invisibly the Church too
  2. The MP's communed papists and monophysites
  3. The EPOC's concelebrated with the Pope of Rome
  4. The Serbian Patriarch concelebrated with the Pope of Rome
  5. The Antiochian Patriarch's communed and concelebrated with monophysites

Are these heretical or acceptable to you?

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

"The Serbian Patriarch concelebrated with the Pope of Rome"?

Julianna

Oops!

Post by Julianna »

I meant the Romanian Patriarch Teoctist. Sorry!

Methodius

Post by Methodius »

Paradosis wrote:

"The Serbian Patriarch concelebrated with the Pope of Rome"?

I wondered about this too and the closest thing I found was this:

SERBIAN ORTHODOX BISHOP CONCELEBRATED WITH CARDINAL

(Vertograd-Inform, Novi Sad http://private.peterlink.ru/alektor/v18-19.htm)

"Politika" (one of the oldest newspapers in Serbia) in its issue of January 25, 2000 tells about two ecumenical services in Sarajevo.

"For the first time, as the history noted down, the heads of the SOC (Serbian Orthodox Church ) and the Catholic Church had common service in Sarajevo. It happened last night in the orthodox Cathedral Church and the night before in the catholic cathedral church in Sarajevo. Common prayers leaded mitropolite of Dabar and Bosnia Nicolas and archbishop of Vrhbosnia, cardinal Vinko Puljich.

Cardinal Puljich gave welcome to Sarajevian cathedral to metropolite Nicolas of Dabar and Bosnia, to a group of orthodox priests and faithful, and then he leaded the common prayer foreseen for the jubilant 2000. In the occasional homily, mitropolite Nicolas said that "many great scientists, in their admiration for the whole creation, were putting their caps off before mentioning the name of the God Creator" and then he send to the gathered mass the blessings of God, wishing peace among all good-willing people. The liturgy was magnified by the choir of the SOC "Sloga" and the choir of the sarajevian church of St. Ante.

Greeting last night cardinal Vinko Puljich, catholic priests and faithful in the Cathedral Church in the continuation of the common prayer, mitropolite of Dabar and Bosnia Nicolas said that the common prayer is dedicated to the progress and peace of all people and nations. Cardinal Puljich leaded the sermon and he reminded all present people that the Gospel of Christ is the common centar and the point of support of the faith and that "everyone should contribute in his own surrounding to the unity of Christianity - as individuals and as a church community." The prayer was finished by the two choirs."

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Re: Oops!

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Julianna wrote:

I meant the Romanian Patriarch Teoctist. Sorry!

I believe this is where they did it at the Vatican where the Pope declared the founder of Opus Dei a saint of the Latin church.

Seraphim Reeves

Hmm

Post by Seraphim Reeves »

Given these developments, isn't it fair to say that a lot has changed, or perhaps I should say it's got a lot worse (in the Serbian Church) since Blessed Justin (Popavich) reposed?

It's things like this which make me openly question the legitimacy of ROCOR saying on one hand, they are not in communion with some parties (like the Greek Church, or the EP), yet they are in communion with Serbia.

Seraphim

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

IMO, no, not really Seraphim. Things were bad in the Serbian Church back in the 70's (the last years of Saint Justin's life) as well. Saint Justin even broke communion with his Patriarch (though I'm sure he still considered himself part of the Serbian Church.. and ecumenical activities didn't even make Saint Justin deny that the EP was still a legit Church, even as he simultaneously called the Ecumenical movement a pan-heresy). And now, there are many spiritual children of Saints Nikolai and Justin in the Serbian Church, some of them bishops. Recently there was a strong push to get the Serbs out of the WCC, with some bishops and hundreds of priests supporting this push. It failed, but they will try again. When they do, I want to make sure we are supporting them. :) After all, other than ecumenism, the Serbs really haven't lapsed (if we are going to say they have lapsed) on anything else, have they? So if they get out of their ecumenical activities, not even the more rigorist/zealous/to-the-right in ROCOR would have a reason to shy away from them.