ROCOR: a history in pictures

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Re: ROCOR: a history in pictures

Post by Barbara »

Did you hear any news about yesterday's ceremony ? That is, yesterday according to US time zones. I always get mixed up about Australian time. I have a friend in Melbourne but can never remember whether to write 2 days in advance or 2 days after to be on time for her birthday !

Yes I had glanced through the main list on the ROCANA website. But i will go bac over both of your links and look more carefully now that you have talked about this. It's more interesting.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I was enjoying looking bac thru some of these fabulous pictures. I notice, though, that it's someone else with Fr Mitrophan before the poor little garage they had to use as a Rocor Church in Paris [I guess due to the rue Daru Cathedral having been taken over by Met Evlogy's-ahem-jurisdiction.]
It's not St John himself in that photo - unless he had gained about 100 kilos!
Well, you know those French pastries...

RocaRemnant
Jr Member
Faith: True Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: ROCANA

Post by RocaRemnant »

Barbara wrote: Sun 4 February 2024 11:26 pm

Did you hear any news about yesterday's ceremony ? That is, yesterday according to US time zones. I always get mixed up about Australian time. I have a friend in Melbourne but can never remember whether to write 2 days in advance or 2 days after to be on time for her birthday !

Yes I had glanced through the main list on the ROCANA website. But i will go bac over both of your links and look more carefully now that you have talked about this. It's more interesting.

I have received so far no news, however I’m sure it’s done and a new saint has been officially glorified!

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

There is no report as of yet on the Australian website for which you gave the link, thank you for the two sites !

I noticed the 1st time i looked, though - as well as today - that St Xenia's in Kanata, Ontario is listed. I remember reading that this parish had switched to Rocor-MP. I checked the website, and sure enough, there were reports about the visit of Rocor MP Met. Nicholas and Abp Gabriel of Montreal.

Well, as it's the Vigil of St Xenia's February Feast Day, maybe it's a good time to update the Rocana website so readers do not get confused ?

RocaRemnant
Jr Member

Post by RocaRemnant »

Hi Barbara, I saw the pictures from a friend in the morning today (eastern standard time). Is there any way I can contact you privately and send you the pictures?

I’ve seen that too, I’ve seen Fr Oleg’s blog where he seems to have bought into the whole reunion narrative. I’ll make sure to tell Vl. Andronik about it. I might email Vl. Andrei since I have his email

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Oh thank you, Roca [shall I call you Almond Roca?!]
That would be great. What is the best way, by email ? I can try to remember how to do a PM, to tell you my email address.

About Fr Oleg, I NEVER expected that he would capitulate ! I wondered at the time WHY, what was behind that dramatic switch. Do you have any idea yourself ? I didn't know Fr Oleg had a blog, but somewhere I remember reading his strongly stated opinion that even icons of the MP are not only not good, but can even harm a person who goes near them or venerates them.
Do you have any background on that puzzling move to Rocor-MP ? From looking at the parish facebook page, Fr Oleg looks fully integrated ; as though he was never True Orthodox.
I do recall a convoluted explanation about his past in the Catacomb Church in Russia. But with that lengthy bacground, it's strange that he was persuaded to make the leap to Rocor-MP.

Regardless of the reason WHY he did that, it seems clear that Archpriest Oleg will not return. Thus, it would be best to email Bishop Andrei, like you say.
The site needs to be completely accurate, after all.

Another problem is that visitors who know about the parish's switch might see the listing still there, and gain the impression that no one is keeping up the ROCANA website, as it is out of date. That in turn might make inquirers turn away, as I think potential new members want to join a Church that is very active.

Same when these new people might write to one of the addresses listed, but if they don't receive an answer, they figure that either God doesn't want them in that jurisdiction OR that the clergy or staff are just not receptive.

RocaRemnant
Jr Member

Post by RocaRemnant »

I’m fairly curious at the case of Fr Oleg Minorov, the Australian Diocese website has removed his parish and replaced it with a mission dedicated to Saint Xenia under a different priest. I assume swift action was taken and it’s simply something that needs to be fixed asap.