Seven Steps for Internet Privacy

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Seven Steps for Internet Privacy

Post by Maria »

https://medium.com/@re_53711/seven-simp ... 0dcbb9fa82
I haven’t received a targeted ad on my computer or mobile phone since 2014. If you care about your privacy — or even if you’re just sick of being bombarded by ads for diet pills seconds after you send an email to a friend complaining that your pants are too tight — here are seven simple steps you can take to make your online presence more private:
I have abbreviated his seven steps to avoid violating copyright issues. They are:

1. Jettison Gmail. ... [Dr. Epstein, no relation to the recently deceased Jeffrey Epstein, recommends ProtonMail.com.]

2. Switch Search Engines. ...

3. Kill Chrome. ...

4. Axe Android ...

5. Heave Home. ...

6. Clear Cache and Cookies. ...

7. Pick a Proxy or VPN. ...

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Luke
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Re: Seven Steps for Internet Privacy

Post by Luke »

I did not understand #5, but thanks for the list.
Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Not sure I would instantly follow ideas of someone with this unfortunate name - ! - but all the advice sounds sensible.

Much as I hate chrome, I got stuck with it, as my favorite Internet Explorer is not accepted most places anymore...
what is a better idea for a search engine then ? Firefox ?

Firefox seems compromised, and so does duckduckgo.com, which is even being offered to Google customers.

I have heard that Brave Browser is supposedly good. Has anyone tried Brave?
Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Dear Luke,

Here is the information provided under "Heave Home."
5) Heave Home. ... The Home device records everything you and your children say, and even when you think it’s inactive, it is still sending a signal back to headquarters. ... Home is not the only device Google is using to listen in; your Android phone never stops listening, and it was revealed recently that Nest, Google’s home thermostat, comes equipped with a hidden microphone. And, yes, in case you were wondering, Amazon’s Alexa device also records everything it hears. ...
I have heard that all smart phones can record and transmit everything you say ... and that information can be used against you ... even if your phone is turned off. Tiny Chinese bugs have been installed in most of our computerized devices, phones, and TVs, so if Google does not capture your most intimate moments, NSA and China do have that capability.

Even our most intimate thoughts and prayers can now be revealed with new tech, and yes, thought crimes could be prosecuted in the future.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Do you think that the chinese bugs are a part of laptops ? Or just these other gadgets ?

Also I read the article, but have no more idea what a home is than I did before - except that it's a cylinder. What sinister thing does it do ?
Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:Do you think that the chinese bugs are a part of laptops ? Or just these other gadgets ?

Also I read the article, but have no more idea what a home is than I did before - except that it's a cylinder. What sinister thing does it do ?
The Home device is a computerized spy that is voice activated. It talks with you and shares that information with its master (Google, China, NSA, etc.) Smart TVs and Smart Phones are also voice activated. They can wake up, take pictures, and invade your privacy. For example, some smart phones, when left in the bathroom, will take pictures of people in the nude. Your voice can turn them on even if you have turned them off.