"Brother" Nathanael Kapner and ROCOR-MP. Is he being controlled?

This forum is for polite discussion of political and social topics that may be uncomfortable for inquirers and some members. This includes anything politically charged, conspiracy theories, and/or end-times theories. All Forum Rules apply.

Suaidan
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Metropolia of the Americas

Re: "Brother" Nathanael Kapner and ROCOR-MP. Is he being controlled?

Post by Suaidan »

eish wrote: Thu 4 April 2024 2:44 pm

I should mention, since it comes up quite regularly, that Fr. Nathanael was tonsured a monk long ago and, yes, he is in ROCOR-MP and his bishop does know what he is doing. There is a letter from the bishop right up there on his website. For some reason stories keep going around that he isn't a real monk or that he was kicked out. As for "Brother," it's an old title that stuck with his online show.

Now what is interesting is that he used to be with a Greek Old Calendar group. He mentions this in a recent discussion with Dr. EM Jones. Does anyone know what happened? Did Fr. Nathanael simply end up under the MP by going to pre-union ROCOR (presumably from the HSIR) and following his bishops, or did he intentionally decide that True Orthodoxy was not for him?

If my memory doesn't fail me he wanted to be a monk under HTM for a while, ended up with Gregory of Colorado for a couple of years and in 2005 or 2006 endeavored to join Abp Andrei of Pavlovskoe (in New Jersey). At some point he had a falling out with Abp Andrei and joined ROCOR-MP shortly around the time of the union.

Fr Joseph Suaidan (Suaiden, same guy)