Would converting spouses be remarried after their baptism?

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Orthodox in Michigan
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC Archbishop Pachomios

Would converting spouses be remarried after their baptism?

Post by Orthodox in Michigan »

I would like to know how that works if one is married with children before becoming orthodox if after baptism is a remarriage ceremony necessary?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Would converting spouses be remarried after their baptism?

Post by Maria »

Orthodox in michigan wrote:

I would like to know how that works if one is married with children before becoming orthodox if after baptism is a remarriage ceremony necessary?

When spouses are received into Holy Orthodoxy, and they are baptized, chrismated, and communed in the Orthodox Church, then their marriage is sanctified through the joint reception of Holy Communion. During Apostolic times and for many years afterwards, before the advent of the civil marriage, couples were united through the reception of Holy Communion. When the new couple with the permission of the Bishop received Christ in Holy Communion, then Christ, the Lord and God, united them. Later on, the Holy Mystery of Crowning was written down from the oral tradition that was handed down by the Apostles.

Would a previously married couple be given the Holy Mystery of Crowning?

Not necessarily because joint reception of Holy Communion seals their marriage. However, candidates for the priesthood would be married in the Church before their ordination. So, if a bishop considers a man who is to be baptized as a possible candidate for the priesthood, then that man will be joined to his spouse through the Holy Mystery of Crowning. The Holy Mystery of Crowning usually takes place at least a day after their baptism. The usual practice in the GOC is that the man and any male children would be baptized on the first day, the wife and any female children would be baptized on the second day, and then the couple would be Crowned on the third day.

However, if a couple had been married in a civil ceremony or in a non-Christian ceremony, then usually the Orthodox Church would marry them especially if the couple requested a Crowning. If that couple had never been married, then for legal reasons, they would be Crowned.

These are questions that are best answered by your priest and bishop.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Orthodox in michigan wrote:

I find that many converts want one, whether it is technically necessary or not.

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

Orthodox in Michigan wrote: Fri 20 July 2018 4:33 am

Yes. It is entirely possible to have the wedding (crowning) done. It is done in some jurisdictions.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Here is another question : do Greek jurisdictions, Old Calendar primarily, actually perform a ceremony with beautiful crowns like the Russians do ? As opposed to using the term 'crowning' for a wedding, but not doing that entire ritual ?
I just realized reading this thread that I have no knowledge of the Greek practices.

Suaidan
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Metropolia of the Americas

Post by Suaidan »

They use crowns

Fr Joseph Suaidan (Suaiden, same guy)