ROCOR and Freemasonry

This forum is for polite discussions among the various True Orthodox Christians. Only confirmed members of TOC jurisdictions are permitted. However, TOC inquirers and catechumen may be admitted at the administrator's discretion. Private discussions should take place in DM's or via email. Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

jdigrande
Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RTOC

ROCOR and Freemasonry

Post by jdigrande »

I just do not understand how ROCOR for most of its history could be so anti-MP and at the same time so supportive of the other heretical Patriarchates (Alexandria, Constantinople and later Jerusalem, Serbia and Antioch).

According to the ROCOR for most of its history one cannot be a KGB bishop like Nikodim, Alexi. Pimen et al but it was fine to be a Masonic Patriarch like Meletius Metaxis and Athenagoras. But he took it further stating that the MP had the grace of the sacraments until his death in the early 80's. That the Serbs took over Platina (and his grave) speaks to their union of thought on this matter.He did not recognize the Anathema of 1935 or the Anathema against the Renovationists in 1922 by St. Tikhon.

Boston was always both before and after its flight from ROCOR a Florinite invention. They hated the GOC of St. Matthew. It was the Florinite theology who produced Cyprian. This theology of "sick members" within a healthy church was first proposed in the early 20th by an Athonite monk. If it was based on truth, St. Tikhon's anathema (which was done by him alone) would be moot as would be the anathema of 1918 against the Communists in that neither was an Ecumenical Council.

The whole world has the grace of the Holy Spirit "which fillest all things." Grace as far as we are concerned means the grace of the sacraments and ordination which the Masonic and Soviet Patriarchs do not have since the anathemas of 1918, 22 and 35.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: ROCOR and Freemasonry

Post by Barbara »

Excellent points, jdigrande. I read somewhere - maybe it was here in fact ! - that St Philaret did NOT want to concelebrate with the JP. Not at all. But for the sake of the Holy Land properties, he felt compelled to do so. To me, that shed a lot of light on that situation : it did seem strange to me that Rocor and the JP were always fairly close. Sometimes JP clergymen in the US would attend Rocor Feasts, for example.

One assumes that Rocor felt indebted to the Serbian Patriarchate for its [ I guess - no one really states the truth about the welcome accorded to the White Russian emigres in then-Yugoslavia. Was it REALLY THAT warm ? Or Rocor and the refugees were merely tolerated but not particularly helped ? I would like to know much more about this scene ] cooperation with Rocor as a fledgling anti-Communist, anti-MP jurisdiction. Mainly the help was accorded to the White Russians because of political reasons. Serbian memories considered that the Russian Empire had militarily helped them at least twice. However, surely the Russian Empire had its own motivations for this armed intervention: it was hardly altruistic.

These are tentative observations.

I think we can see where Fr Seraphim Rose knew some things but was not omniscient the way his supporters have been schooled to remember him.

In contrast, the views you express feel right on the mark.
Also, I like that description of the Serbs taking over Platina. The truth is that Archimandrite Gerasim tried hard to be accepted by the JP first. This was probably a fallback choice for the monks. But once under the Serbian omophorion, the Serbs indeed had full control of the famous monastery. Definitely a gold mine for them. Think of the pilgrims going there to visit the now-enhanced tomb of Fr Seraphim {Rose}.

PS - Those MP patriarchal names never fail to make me shudder, especially Pimen, but both Alexei's too. The name Nikodim tolls like a bell from Hell : it sounds so wicked.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

jdigrande said:

I just do not understand how ROCOR for most of its history could be so anti-MP and at the same time so supportive of the other heretical Patriarchates (Alexandria, Constantinople and later Jerusalem, Serbia and Antioch).

According to the ROCOR for most of its history one cannot be a KGB bishop like Nikodim, Alexi. Pimen et al but it was fine to be a Masonic Patriarch like Meletius Metaxis and Athenagoras. But he took it further stating that the MP had the grace of the sacraments until his death in the early 80's. That the Serbs took over Platina (and his grave) speaks to their union of thought on this matter.He did not recognize the Anathema of 1935 or the Anathema against the Renovationists in 1922 by St. Tikhon.

Boston was always both before and after its flight from ROCOR a Florinite invention. They hated the GOC of St. Matthew. It was the Florinite theology who produced Cyprian. This theology of "sick members" within a healthy church was first proposed in the early 20th by an Athonite monk. If it was based on truth, St. Tikhon's anathema (which was done by him alone) would be moot as would be the anathema of 1918 against the Communists in that neither was an Ecumenical Council.

The whole world has the grace of the Holy Spirit "which fillest all things." Grace as far as we are concerned means the grace of the sacraments and ordination which the Masonic and Soviet Patriarchs do not have since the anathemas of 1918, 22 and 35.

St. Philaret always believed the World Orthodox were graceless and only went to Jerusalem to preserve the historic ROCOR. As for Athenagoras and Metaxis, could you please give me a link to where you heard these remarks? I’d be surprised if the ROCOR condoned freemasonry in any form.

jdigrande

Post by jdigrande »

Vladimir Moss has told me that ROCOR issued an anathema against Masonry in 1932 but he cannot find a copy of it in Russian in order to translate it into English.

St. Philaret decided to not rock the boat in the Holy Land and did not apply the anathema of 1983 there. This resulted in the MP taking over the whole of ROCOR's property over time culminating in Mother Juliana being dragged down the steps in Hebron for opposing Alexi Ridiger's entrance to and take over of Hebron. Met. Vitaly instead of defending her, banished her from the Holy Land (she was abbess of the Ascension Monastery on the Mount of Olives at the time). He also apologized to both to the government of Israel and the MP for her actions.

This was the last act of this tragedy from 1920-2001 where ROCOR decided to placate the New Calendar and those in union with them (Jerusalem/Serbs) in the hopes of maintaining their holy sites in Jerusalem. The EP and NC supplied most if not all of the money to support the Jerusalem Patriarchate. They placated them at all costs: which included the application of the Anathema of 1983. St. Philaret had private beliefs against the NC and World Orthodoxy but he was alone among his bishops in this. If he would have applied the anathema in 1983, his death would have happened shortly afterward rather than in 1986.

If anyone on this site has a copy of the Anathema Against Masonry in 1932 by ROCOR, let me know how to get ahold of it/ thanks

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

I did an Internet search using duckduckgo.com
and I found this document at http://www.trueorthodoxy.org/non_christ ... ions.shtml

Beware Gregory of Colorado who owns and operates this website. Be very careful when at his website as Gregory was deposed by the ROAC.
It is not only Gregory's deposition from the ROAC, but also what he did afterwards that condemns him, because Gregory singlehandedly consecrated Bishop Ambrose Moran as a bishop while saying that he, Gregory, was doing this in communion and in cooperation with the Synod of Makarios, which synod denied this. Nevertheless, Gregory of Colorado condemned St. Matthew for singlehandedly consecrating a synod when St. Matthew could find no bishops willing or able to travel to Greece.

THE COUNCIL OF BISHOPS OF THE RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH OUTSIDE OF RUSSIA TO ALL THE FAITHFUL OF THE RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH IN DIASPORA

15/28 August 1932

“Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.” (I John iv. 1.)

If there was ever a time when these holy words of the beloved disciple of Christ, St. John, could find their most prophetic application, it is certainly ours.

Our troubled period is very poor in prophets. On the other hand, it abounds in false prophets. The world is becoming poorer in the “Spirit of God,” but waxes rich in the “spirit of error.”

“That old serpent, which is the devil, and Satan (Rev. 20:2) has poisoned and infected the hearts of men with many false doctrines, heresies, and sects, which he uses to seduce those whose faith is not solid, those who are not instructed in the knowledge of the mysteries of the Kingdom of God, turning them away from faith in God, in the Church of Christ...

[There follows a closely documented examination of the general and higher level Masonic doctrines and aims from various Masonic sources and Constitutions. It also shows the ties of Freemasonry with revolutions against Christian States and the Church. It exposes clear connections of Freemasonry to the Russian Revolution. Finally, the conclusions state:]

“Freemasonry is a secret international organisation to struggle with God, Christianity, and all National Governments, and especially Christian Governments.

“In the international organization the first place of influence and importance belongs to the Jewish membership.

“Because of this, and other important reasons it is forbidden for all Orthodox Christians to become Freemasons.

In view of what has been stated above, the Holy Council decides to:

(1) Condemn Masonry as a doctrine and an organization contrary to Christianity.... (2) Condemn equally all the doctrines and organizations having an affinity with Masonry, like Theosophy, Anthroposophy, all forms of “Christian gnosticism” [which would include such things as “Christian Yoga,” “Christian Zen, etc], and the YMCA. (3) Recommend to the diocesan bishops and to chiefs of missions to furnish their clergy with all information which may serve to enlighten the faithful regarding the above-mentioned erroneous doctrines and organizations.... (4) Recommend to pastors the necessity of questioning every person presenting himself for confession with a view to finding out whether or not that person is a member of a Masonic organization and whether or not he shares its doctrines. If it appears that the person is a member or shares its teaching, explain to him that participation in these organizations is incompatible with the name of Christian, with being a member of the Church of Christ. That he must take a firm decision to break with Masonry and with doctrines related to it; and if he does not do so, not to admit him to Holy Communion; and if he should refuse to repent, to excommunicate him from the Holy Church.

After having given you our pastoral recommendations concerning the enemies of God and of our salvation, we would remind you of the exhortations of the Holy Apostle: “Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.... Building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.” (Jude 3, 20, 21.)

“Whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?.... We know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness. And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know Him that is true; and we are in Him that is true, even in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the True God, and eternal life.” (I John v. 4-5, 19-20.) Amen!

President of the Council of Bishops Of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia,

+Metropolitan ANTHONY

[Taken from: Rev. P. Kohanik-Christian Orthodox Light on Speculative Freemasonry, 1948, Passaic, N.J.; St. Nectarios Educational Series No.24 Excerpts from the Encyclical on Freemasonry, Theosophy, and Allied Systems]

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Here are two other links that you might find interesting:

https://orthodoxhistory.org/2012/11/20/ ... x-history/

excerpts from the above:

“Freemasonry is not simply a philanthropic union or a philosophical school, but constitutes a mystagogical system which reminds us of the ancient heathen mystery-religions and cults—from which it descends and is their continuation and regeneration.”
“Such a link between Freemasonry and the ancient idolatrous mysteries is also manifested by all that is enacted and performed at the initiations.”
“Thus Freemasonry is, as granted, a mystery-religion, quite different, separate, and alien to the Christian faith.”
“It is true that it may seem at first that Freemasonry can be reconciled with every other religion, because it is not interested directly in the religion to which its initiates belong. This is, however, explained by its syncretistic character and proves that in this point also it is an offspring and a continuation of ancient idolatrous mysteries which accepted for initiation worshippers of all gods. […] This means that by masonic initiation, a Christian becomes a brother of the Muslim, the Buddhist, or any kind of rationalist, while the Christian not initiated in Freemasonry becomes to him an outsider.”
“On the other hand, Freemasonry […] shows itself in this sense to be in sharp contradiction with the Christian religion.”
“Thus, the incompatible contradiction between Christianity and Freemasonry is quite clear. […] [T]he Orthodox Catholic Church, maintaining in its integrity the treasure of Christian faith [has] proclaimed against it every time that the question of Freemasonry has been raised. Recently, the Inter-Orthodox Commission which met on Mount Athos and in which the representatives of all the Autocephalous Orthodox Churches took part, has characterized Freemasonry as a ‘false and anti-Christian system.'”

and http://orthodoxinfo.com/ecumenism/masonry.aspx

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

jdigrande

Post by jdigrande »

Thank your for these documents.

But the incredible fact was that in both 1932 and 1933 Meletius Metaksis was Patriarch of Alexandria after being Patriarch of Constantinople. He was a known Mason and dressed in public as a Mason after he was accepted into the lodge (Harmony). He used to dress like this in Constantinople when he was not in Orthodox vestments, He liked to have his photo taken in such masonic garb and he paraded like this in front of the Greek School with its masonic symbols carved in stone above the front door.

This large Hellenic/Masonic school was built by Patriarch Joachim III in the 1880's when he was Patriarch of Constantinople. I am not sure but it logical that when Meletius Metaksis became Metropolitan of Kition (Cyprus) in 1910- he was blessed by Joachim III who was good friends with Met. Antony Krapovitsky at the time.

So this Mason who had destroyed one Patriarchate and now was working on number two (Alexandria) in the early 30's. Both the Turks who ratified all candidates for Patriarch of Constantinople and the English who ruled Egypt knew full well that both were Masons and supported him.

Why didn't Met. Antony Krapovitsky (in 1932), St Matthew and Chyrsostom (in 1935) declare Joachim III and Meletius heretics as a crucial part of their anathemas?

St. Matthew went to high school with Meletius in Jerusalem. He knew full well he was a Mason as did the three bishops who wrote the anathema of 1935. Perhaps someone has some insight and is very familiar with the Greek Church can explain why this did not happen?

Masons have no power to write encyclicals of 1920, convene Councils (of 1924), administer the sacraments, hold the cross, get vested or even enter an Orthodox Church. 1920 and 1924 did not exist much like St. Philaret and ROCOR maintains that 1667 did not exist in 1974 in their attempt to reconcile with the Old Believers. But in a much more radical way these events (1920 and 24) did not exist. Like all evil- Masonry simply has no existence and that is the real reason that their decision to change the calendar has no basis at all.

We have spent 100 years debating the New Calendar but the allowance of Masons to change it makes that decision (1924) null and void period. I read this anathema of the Greeks (1933) and was stunned: priests (1933) were banned from serving while being Masons while at the same time Meletius Metakasis was Patriarch of Alexandria. He is still in the diptychs of the EP and all of World Orthodoxy.

I feel that the Old Calendar Churches can unite on these personal anathemas 100 years removed from the time when it should have been done. It might help us see the Calendar change is a whole new way: it was never changed because the Masons who changed it had no power to change it.

It is the original sin of the Old Calendrists in my opinion. Masons are not potentially heretics. They are heretics. ROCOR and the Florinites considered Meletius and Athenagoras after him as valid hierarchs who made a mistake with the calendar. In 1935 the NC was termed schismatic when in fact it was heretical in that it was run by Masons.