Matthewites were ecumenist from the beginning

This forum is for polite discussions among the various True Orthodox Christians. Only confirmed members of TOC jurisdictions are permitted. However, TOC inquirers and catechumen may be admitted at the administrator's discretion. Private discussions should take place in DM's or via email. Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Matthewites were ecumenist from the beginning

Post by Justice »

One could also say the same about the Matthewites, who mantained relations with the Jerusalem and Serbian Patriarchs up until the 1960s. In their 1935 encyclical, they only condemned the state church of Greece.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Re: Matthewites were ecumenist from the beginning

Post by Maria »

Dear Justice,

When making any polemical statement about the True Orthodox that is sure to upset someone, please post that topic in Intra-TOC Polemics. This is a gentle warning not to do this again, or an official board-issued warning will be delivered to your PM box.

This post has been split from a similar topic in World Orthodoxy (The ROCOR was ecumenist from the beginning).

In Christ,
Maria
Administrator

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:

One could also say the same about the Matthewites, who mantained relations with the Jerusalem and Serbian Patriarchs up until the 1960s. In their 1935 encyclical, they only condemned the state church of Greece.

I think this is a very unfair statement to make, Justice.

The Matthewites, especially Met. Chrysostom of Florina, originally thought that the EP
and the State Church of Greece would change their minds and come to their senses.
However, neither ever changed, and they still are on the New Calendar.

Please read this book originally written by Fr. Stephen Fraser concerning the Matthewites.
This book will show that from the beginning, the Matthewites under St. Matthew were not
Pharisaical nor fanatical as the Kirykos schismatic faction is today.

Although this book on the history of the GOC was copied illegally by svetosavskasrbija.com,
Fr. Stephen is not contesting this copyright violation so that the message of True Orthodox
gets a wider circulation.
http://www.svetosavskasrbija.com/sites/ ... ce_goc.pdf

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

I apologize for posting this in the wrong forum.

I will gladly read this book, it will probably help clear things up. Thank you for the link Maria.

xenondrum

Post by xenondrum »

Justice wrote:

I apologize for posting this in the wrong forum.

I will gladly read this book, it will probably help clear things up. Thank you for the link Maria.

You will find this book very informative, Justice. However, it is not complete because Monk Kirykos did not allow access to Father Stephen of certain documents in his possession.