Old Believers and Old Calendarists

This is a safe harbor for inquirers and catechumen to ask questions and share their journey into Holy Orthodoxy. Please be kind to our newcomers and warmly welcome them. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Old Believers and Old Calendarists

Post by Barbara »

Justice, that's an interesting point about the putdowns administered by World Orthodoxy, the MP in particular, being lures to get the Old Believers to rejoin them. I had never thought of that. Let's consider this idea.
I personally considered it was the Devil's hatred for that towering figure of light and strength, Patriarch Nikon, which caused the concerted defamation campaign since the repose of the most important of all the Russian Patriarchs.

God willing, all this injustice will be reversed and Patriarch Nikon will be given his rightful place amongst the Saints !

Regarding your second post, did you leave out something ?
By the way, that is helpful to know about the wail in Byzantine chant. I never understood why it has that sound. [ I probably should not say this, but I don't care for the Greek chant for that exact reason. It sounds too mournful to me. ]

Justice
Sr Member
Faith: Deism
Jurisdiction: Possible Inquirer

Post by Justice »

Regarding your second post, did you leave out something ?

I don't believe so. Did I?

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

The paragraph that I quoted from NCY has gotten me to think deeper into this issue. I've always been told by other Orthodox Christians that the Turkish Muslims were the ones who stole this style of chanting from the Byzantines, Thus why they sound so similar. If this modern style of Byzantine chanting came later, then why does the Muslim style of chanting have the "wail" like the Orthodox? shouldn't it sound monophonic?

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Regarding Metropolitan Philaret: the short of it is that he was influential in their continued persecution, sealing their altars close and imprisoning any clergy and monastics he could find. For the Edinoverie, or coreligionists (Old Believers who reunited with the Russian Orthodox Church, whom Old Believers regard as Uniates) he forced them to adopt several aspects of the Nikonian Reforms, and would not even let them use the two-finger sign of the cross. There's more on him, but in short he did not treat them well at all, causing his efforts to be ineffectual.

Does anybody have a link to these events?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Justice wrote:

Regarding Metropolitan Philaret: the short of it is that he was influential in their continued persecution, sealing their altars close and imprisoning any clergy and monastics he could find. For the Edinoverie, or coreligionists (Old Believers who reunited with the Russian Orthodox Church, whom Old Believers regard as Uniates) he forced them to adopt several aspects of the Nikonian Reforms, and would not even let them use the two-finger sign of the cross. There's more on him, but in short he did not treat them well at all, causing his efforts to be ineffectual.

From whom is this quote? We need context like the years of Met. Philaret reign as several have borne his name.

I was hoping that on this day, Pascha, we would only have posts dealing with Christ's Holy Resurrection.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

Maria wrote:

From whom is this quote? We need context like the years of Met. Philaret reign as several have borne his name.

I was hoping that on this day, Pascha, we would only have posts dealing with Christ's Holy Resurrection.

Amen! Christ is Risen!

This is the day of resurrection! Let us be illumined by the Feast!

Let us embrace each other! Let us call ‘brothers’ even those that hate us, and forgive all by the resurrection!

Justice
Sr Member

Post by Justice »

Maria wrote:
Justice wrote:

It’s from NotChrysostomYet. This question can wait though seeing as it’s Pascha.

Last edited by Justice on Mon 9 April 2018 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.