AB Seraphim Sobolev to be canonized by the MP?

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Re: AB Seraphim Sobolev to be canonized by the MP?

Post by Jean-Serge »

It seems he participated to the 1948 conference of Orhtodox Churches in Moscow that condemned ecumenism. So, I think he joined the Moscow Patriarchate. However, his works from the 1930s where he condemns sophianism and new calendar seem to be worth reading and really orthodox.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Archimandrit Nilos wrote:

Seraphim Sobolev was a traitor of faith, a fanatic Sergianiste, formerly a ROCOR man.

His biographies all state that he held services in a Russian "Communist" Embassy until he died in 1950.
This does not imply that he was a fanatic Sergianist. Nevertheless, by his being in communion with the Russian Orthodox Church, he could be said to be a Sergianist.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

This topic is still obscure to me. How did he start out in Rocor - you remember all the pictures of his streaming hair standing out at early Rocor Sobors ? But then somehow left and stayed in Bulgaria under the MP ?
I know this has been discussed somewhere. I have forgotten the details.

But what Maria wrote is completely NEW to me ! He served in the Soviet Embassy in Sofia ? I had never heard that.
I had the vague image that Abp Seraphim was held in Bulgaria almost against his will.

What is the truth here ? Maybe Archimandrite knows. Please enlighten us !

I have been trying to make up my mind about Abp Seraphim for a long time, so it would help immensely to hear the REAL story.

By the way - you notice how in the announcement made by the MP, zero is said about Archbishop Seraphim's affiliation with Rocor. That speaks VOLUMES to me about their enduring mindset !

m. Evfrosinia
Jr Member
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by m. Evfrosinia »

Archbishop Seraphim did indeed condemn sophiology and the teachings of Fr. Sergius Bukgakov, the main proponent of this theology. He also was one of the first to condemn ecumenism and it was largely under his influence that the MP condemned ecumenism in the 40's, after World War II, when he moved to Russia. Some accounts say he was deported, some that he moved willingly. However, recently opened KGB files reveal that he collaborated with the NKVD (Forerunner of the KGB) very early on. He seems to have been recruited while still a bishop of ROCOR in Bulgaria. The MP does not deny this, and their scholars have quoted the NKVD sources in their research, especially Mikhail Shkvarovsky, one of the MP's foremost scholars on the catacomb church. This glorification is very similar to that of Archbishop Luke of Crimea. They site the great veneration of the flock and the many miracles worked at his tomb as proof for the necessity of a glorification, and ignore the history. The only difference seems to be that Archbishop Seraphim didn't betray anyone or ask the KGB that they "be taken care of", as Archbishop Luke did. It is especially sad that Metropolitan Hilarion, first hierarch of the ROCOR-MP, was one of the first to speak in favor of the glorification, praising the labors of the bishop that informed on his predecessors for many years.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Thank you, Mother.

More pseudo-saints of world orthodoxy. Is the ROCOR-A/ROCA under Agafangel praising this Archbishop Sobolev.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Archimandrit Nilos

Post by Archimandrit Nilos »

I know the history about Seraphim Soboloev exactly. He was indeed a traitor of faith. He has left the ROCOR and his Archb. Theophan Bystrov of Poltava (+1941 in France). It's correct: he has condemned the Sophiology of Sergius Boulgakov, this great esoteriste and ecumenist of early years. But afterwards, Sobolev was fallen in heresy and schisma. Anathema tris !

Archimandrit Nilos

AB Seraphim Sobolev to be canonized by the MP?

Post by Archimandrit Nilos »

You can see the connection with the former Synod in Resistance of Kyprianos Koutsoumpas (now in union with Kallinikos Sarantopoulos), from the Akakian-Florinites... and a "Bishop" Photios of Bulgaria (Synod in Resistance) now with the Kallinikites with such dubious persons as Seraphim Sobolev (from the graceless Sergianist Moscow Patriarchate). True Orthodox Christians? Totally inconceivably but characteristically so.
http://www.roca.org/OA/132/132g.htm

Last edited by Maria on Fri 12 February 2016 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited very slightly to comply with the rules regarding polemics in the public forum