HISTORICAL-COURSE OF THE CHURCH OF CHRIST

This forum is for polite discussions among the various True Orthodox Christians. Only confirmed members of TOC jurisdictions are permitted. However, TOC inquirers and catechumen may be admitted at the administrator's discretion. Private discussions should take place in DM's or via email. Formerly "Intra-TOC Private Discussions."

Archimandrit Nilos

HISTORICAL-COURSE OF THE CHURCH OF CHRIST

Post by Archimandrit Nilos »

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Re: HISTORICAL-COURSE OF THE CHURCH OF CHRIST

Post by Jean-Serge »

Very interesting... I think that HOCNA, the synod of Makarios of Athens and the one of Angelos of Avlona might be missing.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Maria »

Jean-Serge wrote:

Very interesting... I think that HOCNA, the synod of Makarios of Athens and the one of Angelos of Avlona might be missing.

Without getting into polemics, I will just state the bare facts:

Makarios originally left the GOC as a hieromonk, joined what became the GOC-K where he was consecrated as a bishop, then with a few other bishops, he left to start his own Synod.

Angelos of Avlona also originally left the GOC as a hieromonk, joined Makarios, and was consecrated a bishop by the Makarios Synod, then left to start his own Synod.

HOCNA was originally called Holy Transfiguration Monastery. It was a monastery with some attached parishes who went under the ROCOR Synod. One year after Met. Philaret of New York died, they left ROCOR, searched around to find a bishop who would consecrate two bishops for them. Archbishop Auxentios consecrated Bishop Makarios of Toronto and Bishop Ephraim of Boston, both of whom remained under Archbishop Auxentios until he died.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Agios_Irineos

Post by Agios_Irineos »

This should really go directly to Polemics as it presupposes the correctness of some branches and the illegitimacy of others.

Jean-Serge
Protoposter

Post by Jean-Serge »

It seemed to me Angelos of Avlona was the cyprianists before joining GOC-Makarios, then going independent and making a bishop with Evlogios of Milan. The diagram is really usdeful to have to dates and some facts.

Priidite, poklonimsja i pripadem ko Hristu.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

HieromonkIrineos wrote:

This should really go directly to Polemics as it presupposes the correctness of some branches and the illegitimacy of others.

Perhaps the chart should go into polemics as it presupposes that the GOC is correct, but from an historical perspective, it is interesting to see such a flow chart. When I opened it, I could not see the entire flowchart, so it did not make much sense.

However, my post above did not mention or presuppose any reasons why people change from one Synod to another. That is where the polemics starts.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Jean-Serge wrote:

It seemed to me Angelos of Avlona was the cyprianists before joining GOC-Makarios, then going independent and making a bishop with Evlogios of Milan. The diagram is really usdeful to have to dates and some facts.

This is polemics. Calling Angelos of Avlona a cyprianite or saying that he was with the Cyprianites is a polemical statement.

Therefore, I am moving this entire thread into Intra-TOC Polemics

Maria,
Admin