St Pauls' baggage

An online Synaxaristes including martyrologies and hagiographies of the lives of the Orthodox Church's saints. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

Truly, to the Orthodox Christian, the most important thing should be that one stays Orthodox Christian

Yes, and one should become Orthodox Christian, the first step being becoming a catechuman at an Orthodox Church, of which the GOA is not. Bartholomew and his church of worldy endeavors has become a rotten hulk, which not having confession is a just another symptom, and a serious one at that.

Just like a leak in the hull of a ship might witness that the hull is rusting, and it is rusting because it lacks the Grace of God.

Natasha
Sr Member

Post by Natasha »

SGT wrote: "I do think it's extremely important to not be judgmental -- loving our neighbor is our foremost duty."

It is not about being judgmental, it is about exposing those who wish to corrupt the Church.

TomS
Protoposter

An update

Post by TomS »

OrthodoxyOrDeath wrote:

I was once in the GOA and I know exactly what you are dealing with. I asked if you could share with us what your priest told you because I knew in all likelihood there would be no such conversation. You would think at $125,000/yr these "priests" would have the time to confess people more than once a year. Yet strangley enough, they find the time to commune everyone on Sunday, even if they don't know their name.

Wow :(

I just got of the phone with the Priest at my church. I am deeply perplexed and dissapointed.

I specifically told him that I would like to set up an appointment for confession sometime in the next couple of weeks and his response was that "Let's just wait until Christmas. I am holding confessions on Friday December 19th between 5 and 6 PM"

I said to him "But remember Father, this is my first confession and it may take awhile" and he responded that it will not take long because all I will have to say is that I have sinned in general and he will read the prayer over me.

I said "You mean that I don't have to confess any details or particular sins" and he said "No" and that he does not go into details because it then degenerates into a type of counseling session and that takes too long.

And on top of that, he can't find my Chrismation certificate that we filled out after my Chrismation in May. So I have no proof that I am was Chrismated Orthodox!

Very concerned.

----------------------------------------------------
They say that I am bad news. They say "Stay Away."

Joe Zollars

Tom,

Post by Joe Zollars »

Tom,

with all due respect, RUN! Don't look back. Go to the nearest true Orthodox Church. I think Fr. Dionysi of this forum is over near you someplace actually.

Joe Zollars

Seraphim Reeves

Tom

Post by Seraphim Reeves »

Tom,

And on top of that, he can't find my Chrismation certificate that we filled out after my Chrismation in May. So I have no proof that I am was Chrismated Orthodox!

Take it as a sign. You're being given a tremendous Grace here, to see these things. Take hold of it, and do not let go.

I'd suggest you keep a correspondence with Fr.Dionysi.

Seraphim

Gregory2

Post by Gregory2 »

Tom,

I used to live where you do (in the DC area), and, I'm telling you, brother, that you'd get a MUCH different experience if you just went across the street. Father Constantine White is the chief priest at St. Nicholas Cathedral on Mass Ave, a wonderful man, a wonderful family. He was my priest when I was a student in DC, and he never once rushed through confession, and was gracious enough to do confession for me even when I rudely asked out of the blue one day, when it wasn't even scheduled.

Or go to St. Mark Church in Bethesda on River Road. I don't know the current priest, but when I was there not too long ago, it was so warm and wonderful, much like St. Nicholas, only much more "American" and much less "Russian."

I agree, my friend, RUN! What exactly are you waiting for????

On another topic..... :o Priests make $125K per year?????????? Who exactly makes this???? Does their Archdiocese pay them this?????? I'm assuming this qualifies only to priests of huge (and very wealthy!) parishes.

Mor Ephrem

Post by Mor Ephrem »

Dear Tom,

stgregorythetheologian wrote:

I used to live where you do (in the DC area), and, I'm telling you, brother, that you'd get a MUCH different experience if you just went across the street. Father Constantine White is the chief priest at St. Nicholas Cathedral on Mass Ave, a wonderful man, a wonderful family. He was my priest when I was a student in DC, and he never once rushed through confession, and was gracious enough to do confession for me even when I rudely asked out of the blue one day, when it wasn't even scheduled.

Or go to St. Mark Church in Bethesda on River Road. I don't know the current priest, but when I was there not too long ago, it was so warm and wonderful, much like St. Nicholas, only much more "American" and much less "Russian."

This is probably the best advice you could get in your situation. I hope you will take it into consideration.