Smart Phone Zombies are walking into traffic & off cliffs.

Non-political secular news and anything else (within the boundaries of Christian morality and good taste) that is not on-topic in any other section. Any politically charged material must be posted in the private Political and Social Issues forum; please PM admin for access. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Smart Phone Zombies are walking into traffic & off cliffs.

Post by Maria »

Zombies are so addicted to smart phones ....

quote Addiction to mobile devices is a growing problem in America. It's gotten to the point where people are so distracted that they will walk right into traffic, fall off train platforms, or even fall right off a cliff.

As Americans plug their entire existence into their mobile devices, they give away the now, sacrificing the present moment, and sometimes sacrificing their lives.

Mobile devices have become the heart, mind and soul of a generation that is infatuated with distraction. Mobile devices are replacing the very spirit of the people, turning the masses into oblivious clones that will walk out into traffic without taking their eyes off their screens. ...[/quote]

Read the complete story at: http://www.naturalnews.com/052639_pedes ... vices.html

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Barbara
Protoposter

Re: Smart Phone Zombies are walking into traffic & off cliffs.

Post by Barbara »

Wow. I guess I should not be surprised at this heedless behavior. But even that mental illness ADD, or ADHD,
has a keynote of 'distractability'. So I think that observation about "a generation infatuated with distraction"
is sage. I have to read the full article, this sounds interesting.

Important for all of us to understand so we avoid problems while driving. Whether from other drivers so affected, or
pedestrians. I hadn't heard of the latter event, but one can fear it may only grow as the population gets even more saturated with smart phone use.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Wow. I guess I should not be surprised at this heedless behavior. But even that mental illness ADD, or ADHD,
has a keynote of 'distractability'. So I think that observation about "a generation infatuated with distraction"
is sage. I have to read the full article, this sounds interesting.

Important for all of us to understand so we avoid problems while driving. Whether from other drivers so affected, or
pedestrians. I hadn't heard of the latter event, but one can fear it may only grow as the population gets even more saturated with smart phone use.

.. "as the population gets even more addicted to and more saturated with smart phone use."

Had to fix it for you. LOL

Oh, now there is a mental illness of addiction to smart phones ...

And of course, the prerequisite drugs ... pushed by our pharmaceutical companies.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

Did I misunderstand ? I did mean to say "addicted to", for it must really verge on that.
Probably Smart Phone Addiction will appear in the DSM soon - if it is kept. There was talk of eliminating the DSM altogether, I saw somewhere.

To explain : I was in a hurry, so I compressed a couple of thoughts into one phrase. I meant, as the population becomes fully saturated with cell phones/smart phones. Right now it must be getting to that saturation point where nearly every child, teen and adult owns one ! Maybe a few holdouts, like me. And elderly people. But I have seen people getting up to 90 years old dialing away on their cell phones in a skilled way. It looks professional to me, since I don't know how to operate any of that.

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

Did I misunderstand ? I did mean to say "addicted to", for it must really verge on that.
Probably Smart Phone Addiction will appear in the DSM soon - if it is kept. There was talk of eliminating the DSM altogether, I saw somewhere.

To explain : I was in a hurry, so I compressed a couple of thoughts into one phrase. I meant, as the population becomes fully saturated with cell phones/smart phones. Right now it must be getting to that saturation point where nearly every child, teen and adult owns one ! Maybe a few holdouts, like me. And elderly people. But I have seen people getting up to 90 years old dialing away on their cell phones in a skilled way. It looks professional to me, since I don't know how to operate any of that.

I was only teasing you, Barbara.

Yes, smart phones are very addictive, and soon everyone will have one.
The Muslim migrants already have one, so someone must be handing them out like candy.

There already is a DSM code for Internet addiction and a smart phone is internet-accessible, so it is already covered.

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

OK ! Fine, we are in good agreement, then.

I remember there is something in the DSM about addiction to social media, perhaps that's the same category ?

Maria
Archon

Post by Maria »

Barbara wrote:

OK ! Fine, we are in good agreement, then.

I remember there is something in the DSM about addiction to social media, perhaps that's the same category ?

In the mid-2000s, after several Japanese and/or Koreans died in Internet Cafes where they were busy gaming 24/7 for more than three days without stopping for food, water, sleep, exercise, and restroom breaks, the AMA labeled that as a psychological addiction.

Sitting down that long can cause heart attacks, strokes and a host of other medical problems.